Monday, January 17, 2011

Happy Birthday, Betty White!



The ever-fabulous and inimitable Betty White is eighty-nine today! You undoubtedly know her as Rose Nyland from The Golden Girls, as the lady in that Super Bowl Snickers commercial, as a passionate animal rights activist, and as Saturday Night Live's oldest (and quite possibly funniest) host. But after perusing the trusty Internet, I found out some more. For instance, that Betty had a Pink’s Hot Dog named after her (it's called the Betty White “Naked” Hot Dog), that she wrote a short story called "Pet Love" for Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul, that she is the only Golden Girl to appear on four different shows as the same character, namely The Golden Girls, Empty Nest, The Golden Palace, and Nurses, that she was voted the best looking girl in high school, that she was the first woman to win a Daytime Emmy Award in the category of Outstanding Game Show Host, ironically for the show Just Men, and that she won an Emmy in 1985 for Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series during the first season of The Golden Girls.

Quite an impressive resume (and those are just the highlights)!

To commemorate Betty's special day, I decided to break out the "Who's Your Betty?" tee shirt that the bf got me for Christmas. The best part is the cartoonish Betty White-shaped tag that came with it. The bf confessed that the tee in my size didn't have a tag and that, recognizing the must-have quality of this kitschy piece, he'd been forced to pilfer one from a different tee and craftily reattach it to mine. I'm glad he did, because I made a brooch out of it! Some felt backing, a Gorilla glued pin, and a few coats of Mod Podge were all Betty needed to shine. (I stopped myself from giving her a pair of rhinestone earrings. That would have been crossing the line over into the cheesy) Here I fastened it to a couple of necklaces.

Betty, I know you'll never read this blog, but at the risk of sounding silly, I hope you're having a fantastic birthday and that you're out there enjoying some cheesecake (or regular cake, it doesn't matter, really), Golden Girls style.

No comments: