Wednesday, April 12, 2023

From Nostalgia to Now: Election Connection


When Election came out in 1999, I wanted to see it.  A twisty tale about the evils of high school politics starring Reese Witherspoon?  Yes, please.  After all, I was a high school senior myself and could relate.  Not because I ever ran for office or wanted to, but because the social maze of schooldays were a struggle.  Then again, maybe that's why I ended up not seeing it.

Fast forward to 2020 and the pandemic, which meant that I was catching up on old movies.  One night I was scrolling through my options when Election came up.  Twenty-two years later, and it was finally time.  It was so good!  Witherspoon made the perfect Tracy Flick, an overbearing overachiever intent on becoming student government president no matter what.  And Chris Klein was her ideal foil as Paul, the affable, big-man-on-campus puppet primed to defeat her.  I enjoyed it so much that I ordered the book, by Tom Perrotta, whom I'd heard of but never read.  Not surprisingly, it was even better than the movie, a rich character study of suburbia told baldly from multiple points of view.  So last fall when I heard that there was a sequel to Election called Tracy Flick Can't Win, I was pumped.       

In this installment, Perrotta introduces us to a forty-something version of the high school anti-hero (cue the Taylor Swift).  Tracy's not a senator or even a lawyer like she planned, but a single mom and assistant principal.  For all her scheming and dreaming, she's right back where she started, a big fish in a small pond campaigning to be, not president, but principal.  Still, Perrotta gives us a more vulnerable and nuanced look at her, especially as she comes to terms with sleeping with her English teacher.  Indeed, the novel is full of wronged women, their stories woven like faded rainbows in Perrotta's crazy quilt of suburban satire.  His skill in describing women is impressive, especially when writing about them dealing with -- and falling for -- men who are their superiors.  As they blame themselves for what happened to them, it's all too clear how the patriarchy sets up women to fail.  Yet Perrotta reminds us that, in many ways, it sets up men to fail too.  No character is all good or bad, and that's what makes Perrotta's storytelling so realistic.  Regardless of the obstacles these troubled souls face, they do the best with what they've got.      

And that's always worth voting for.

6 comments:

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh..this one has been on my list. I too was fascinated by the movie since it was made in our little burb. And "Paul" is one of the hometown boys...Of course, Pain/Payne who directed it always has a way of showing the bad side of any place here in the Heartland. So I was never certain of Perrotta's intentions. So great to see how the sequel played out. Thanks so much for your review. Thanks for giving me a smile today, too. Thanks for reading! & thank you for your comments too☂️☂️☂️☂️☂️πŸŒ‚πŸŒ‚πŸŒ‚πŸŒ‚πŸŒ‚πŸŒˆπŸŒˆπŸŒˆπŸŒˆπŸŒˆπŸŒˆ Still hoping for some rain and rainbows here. We have polluted air from he south winds. One of those weeks one is sure to get some kind of nasal congestion as it warms up. P.S. I have a feeling my Kye & Zoe aren't exactly what the 'roleplay' is looking for, but I like them.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, so fun to catch up with Perrotta! I have seen the book, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Thanks so much for the great review! I didn't know it would be about 'small-town' politics. It does sound intriguing!🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈Hopefully soon Pan and Gabe will collide. I'm with you about who I would like to see as the host for Jeopardy too! Thanks so much for being here. Thanks for your inspiration! All the best to your beautiful creativity!

ellie said...

So great to read your review. Somehow, I get this author mixed up with another author. But of course, I can't think of that author at the moment. Truly he does have layers in his fiction to pick up on. I dunno if all who read him, get him. And I'm so glad that you do. 🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸Oh, it has been a hectic week at work. We have had a drunk guy in the computer lab on Monday. By Tuesday, his dad got involved and that ended in a call to the cops. Hopefully, he didn't come back last night, but who knows. Yes, it feels as if Spring Fever is in the air. As for Boone..I feel he's a lot like Alfie when it comes to friendships. Yet, they are very different too. And maybe Phil is Boone's Steve, yet I feel they are on the same level when it comes to how they communicate.

Samantha said...

I remember seeing movie advertisements for Election in magazines back when it first came to theaters - although, I never saw it or had any idea what it was about (besides the obvious - an election!) I especially did not know that it had a book version of it, or a sequel book at that. That's awesome that you watched it twenty-two years later. Better late than never! Sounds like a great read, too!!! πŸ“šπŸ’•

Mor Düşler Kitaplığı said...

Hello Tracy,
I didn't the books. Looks interesting. Thanks for your review. Have a good weekend :)

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

You certainly have me interested in both the movie and the book! I enjoyed your review. Thanks