Friday, December 15, 2023

Pop Culture Puns and Trees by the Ton

Print: Michaels

A cactus is a kind of tree, especially when it's dressed up for Christmas.  Even if it doesn't grow in New Jersey save for in print form on my wall.  Who knows.  If I saw real cacti every day, then maybe I wouldn't like them as much.  Luckily, I'm rooted in the Garden State, which means I'll never need to find out.

Cacti do grow in Idaho, which just happens to be the setting of the last book I read, Codi Hall's There's Something About Merry.  The sequel to Nick and Noel's Christmas Playlist (which I read last year), it centers around the Winters Christmas Tree Farm and the festively-named family that owns it.  Middle child Merry loves the farm so much that she wants to run it someday.  So she's bummed when her dad hires someone else to do just that.  Clark Griffin (who, although not a Winters, isn't immune to the "merry" moniker theme; his favorite holiday flick is Christmas Vacation) is no longer the lanky, long-haired nerd that popular Merry crushed on back in high school.  Now a single dad, he's assertive but still reticent, his quiet nature masking a wound.  Yet when he and Merry connect on a dating app, their chemistry is palpable.  As a writer and an introvert, I love an epistolary getting-to-know-you, and this one is especially sweet.  But perhaps the best thing about it is that it doesn't go on forever.  Merry and Clark discover each other's identities early.  So instead of being the entire story, the online dating trope serves as more of a prologue, building tension and layers.  Because who says romcoms can't be deep?

Not this fool for love.  And cacti. πŸ’–πŸŒ΅

6 comments:

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, Christmas Cacti seem to pop up everywhere these days. I liked how you spoke of being in he Garden State! This looks like a sweet Christmas read, for sure! Happy Weekend to get everything ready for next weekend!πŸŽ„πŸŒ΅πŸŽ„πŸŒ΅πŸŽ„πŸŒ΅πŸŽ„πŸŒ΅πŸŽ„πŸŒ΅πŸŽ„ Oh, thanks for your comments! Yes, I guess I've warmed up to Wade...& I enjoyed catching up with everyone too. Still..a couple or two I need to bring in..as well..and of course..what is Wade up to? Hopefully, it will be a cozy Christmas holiday for everyone! Here's to all that last minute Christmas shopping!

ellie said...

Adoring the Cactus! Oh, a dear friend who lives in Oklahoma named her son Cactus..I can't believe I don't have a Cactus yet in my stories...(✿◡‿◡)(✿◕‿◕✿) this Christmas read looks delightful. It reminds me of a C-drama where most of it, they were besties online but hated each other face to face and didn't know about their other identity. It seems these days this plot is used more and more. I guess the best storyline in a C-drama was that the two lived together as roommates, but didn't realize they were each other's first online friend.πŸŽ„πŸŒ΅❤️πŸŒ΅πŸŽ„πŸŒ΅❤️πŸŽ„ Hope you have a very creative weekend! So glad you found this Holiday print!

Ivy's Closet said...

So wonderful to see this Christmas post! Yes, Cacti is best in frames! & your jewelry! Thanks so much for the wonderful review. I will definitely look for this one! It does sound like a fun holiday readπŸŽ„❤️🌡❤️πŸŽ„❤️🌡 Oh..I am having a horrible time with that CROWN. I went in yesterday and he ground it down..unfortunately I think I have an infection..and the script he sent me with for an antibiotic didn't go through..so I'm stuck with a swelled left side which feels almost like an ear infection..I am sure I may have to go to Urgent care today..and of course snow is about..oh these darn dental problems! Just what I need this week. At least my Amazon packages arrived!

Samantha said...

I love your cacti print!!! It's so merry, festive and cute - and that also describes your Christmas read! The illustration is totally adorable and sounds like the perfect romcom seasonal treat! πŸŒ΅πŸŽ„✨

ellie said...

I hope you are safe from all the flooding. Sending positive thoughts!

Kinga K. said...

Lovely cactus :D