Thursday, October 6, 2022

Exchange Rate Fate, Fresh Clean Slate: The Price of Peace of Kind

When the movie version of Pay It Forward came out in 2000, it looked like something serious I didn't want to see.  The other thing I remember is that it starred the kid from Forrest Gump and The Sixth Sense (Haley Joel Osment)I didn't even know that it started out as a book until earlier this year, when I read Love & Other Words.  The two kids in it had bonded over Catherine Ryan Hyde's heartbreaking novel.  Which made me curious, as I sometimes enjoy having my heart broken too.  So when I started to read it, I thought, okay, I get it. It's about a sweet, naΓ―ve kid who thinks people are good, but life keeps proving him wrong.  

Twelve-year-old Trevor McKinney hasn't had it easy.  He has no idea where his dad is, and his mom is a recovering alcoholic.  Yet despite this, he believes that people can change.  So when his closed-off yet kind social studies teacher, Mr. St. Clair, assigns the class an extra credit project posing the question: How would you change the world?, Trevor comes up with this: What if one person helped three people, and then each of those people helped three more people, and so on?  Soon everyone would be helping one another, and bad things would stop happening.  Trever calls it Pay It Forward -- and all of his classmates laugh.  But Trevor remains undeterred, giving one hundred dollars of his paper route money to a homeless man.  As Trevor's project progresses, there are ups and downs -- mostly downs.  Especially because one of his goals is to help Mr. St. Clair, an erudite Black Vietnam vet missing an eye, and his mom, a beautiful woman insecure about her lack of education, fall in love and get married.  (Here I must pause to interject my reaction to the movie, which I watched after finishing the book: How could Trevor's teacher be a white guy with two eyes?  And how could that guy be Kevin Spacey?!)  At first, the story is a little hard to follow because it's interspersed with interview excerpts from the future.  Yet eventually I realized that they're there to show how the Pay It Forward project -- or movement, as it came to be called -- gained traction.  I sensed that if I stuck it out, then it would, ahem, pay off in the end.  And it turned out that I was right.

Poignant and stirring, Pay It Forward shows that we're all vulnerable to the whims of the world, and that our only defense against it is decency.  It also shows that we're all connected, and that even the smallest kindnesses can add up to make a big difference.  That it does so by making the ultimate sacrifice to help humankind is unsettling.  But this is the way that it has to be to deliver the book's moving message.

On that note, my copy of the book is the fifteenth anniversary edition and includes a new introduction by Hyde.  In it she explains how she got the idea for the book.  One night when she was in her twenties, she was driving through her not-great neighborhood when her car began to smoke.  So she pulled over.  This was before cell phones, so she couldn't call anyone.  That's when she saw two men approaching her car.  This is it, she thought.  This is how I die.  But to her surprise, they popped the hood and helped her.  By the time the fire truck arrived (because where there's smoke, there's fire), they had gone without a word.  Hyde felt bad about that.  If they had exchanged contact information, then she could've thanked them properly, even sent them Christmas cards every year.  But her inability to do that, coupled with these Good Samaritans' anonymity, made her wonder, what if?  What if a stranger did something nice for you, and you had no way to thank him except for doing something nice for someone else?

It makes you wonder.  And just maybe believe in the miracle of the human spirit.

Except when it comes to Kevin Spacey.

13 comments:

camdandusler said...

Thanks for your sharing...

ellie said...

Oh, I haven't thought of this book in ages, but I know we need more of it in our life. Especially, these days. Love your review. A very poignant time to post it too! πŸ’•πŸ§πŸ‚πŸ’—πŸ‚πŸ§πŸ’•

Thanks for your comments. Oh, there always has to be that one person in the circle who has to speak their mind. Sometimes, you wonder..how did that come up? What will they say next? And it was interesting to hear what many had to say about Alfie. Which leads us to real-life drama kings. πŸ’•πŸ§πŸ‚πŸ‚πŸ§πŸ’•πŸ I do start the new medication today. Which I am not looking forward to. But hopefully, it won't be as bad as I anticipated.

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, this looks to be a classic, a keeper, maybe even a book to give to someone too. Great story! And movie too. Thanks so much for the review! πŸπŸ–€πŸ’•πŸ’˜πŸ‚πŸ Thanks so much for your comments! I hope you are having a good month. I made another cake. This time a lemon one.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Definitely a book to reread. So glad to see your review! Very poignant! It's been a while, but it is an important book. πŸπŸ’˜πŸ–€πŸ’•πŸ’˜πŸ‚πŸ Thanks for reading. Oh, I am not sure many will understand Alex aka Ali. Nor do we know if he/she will understand what they put their mother through either. Just this week, I did see someone come to the library who wasn't in their disguise as usual, but all in black with a black hoodie just to report something they had seen outside the library.

P.S..our ill-fated 'Huskers' are playing in N.J. this weekend. I am sure the Huskers will get their butts whipped. They no longer have Coach Frost (who couldn't win a game..so I think he's in Alabama now with a million or more) I don't even watch football..but I hear about it on the news.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

the book sounds very interesting and has a very good message to share. Lately, I've been watching movies instead of reading books. Got to get back to the books!! Good review thanks.

Mor Düşler Kitaplığı said...

It looks interesting. I want to read it. :)
Thanks for your review. Have a good weekend :)

Samantha said...

Wow, I had no idea that this was originally a book, or that it was so different (Kevin Spacey character-wise!) from the movie. I do remember seeing some of the movie a long time ago. The concept of course, has become a thing - "pay it forward" - and what a remarkable story of how the author came about creating the idea for the book! It really does make you want to believe in the miracle of the human spirit. On an ironic note, the moment I began reading this blog post, I heard a car honk in the drive-thru while I'm sitting on the patio of Starbucks, and I heard the driver call out "thank you" to the car pulling away in front of them. Seems they did the "pay it forward" in the drive-thru and paid for the person behind them's order! So I literally witnessed a "pay it forward" as I read your post. :)

Fashion and Wishlist said...

Hi,

Nice blog. I am new. Do you want to follow each other?

https://fashionandwishlist.blogspot.com/

Better Left Unsaid said...

Such a remarkable book! You can learn so much from it. So inspiring! Hope you are having a good weekend.

Hollyn'Stevie said...

This makes me think I need to read this book again. Thanks so much for the review. Hope you are having a great weekend. Chill in the air here. So nice. πŸ’•πŸ’—πŸ’—πŸ’•πŸ§πŸ§πŸ’•☕☕ Thank you so much for your comments. Hopefully all your creative adventures are going well, too!

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, so delightful to read your wonderful review. I should find this now. Thanks for this! Thank you for your comments too. I hope you are doing OK and having a great October!

Cherry Blossoms said...

So good to read this. It really makes one realize how we need to be there for others. Even in random acts of kindness. All the best to a fantastic October. Oh, I will admit..its kind of hard making a set or two for this story blog.

Sakuranko said...

I could read this one
Thank you for your review