Sunday, October 16, 2022

Second Banana to None: Going Ape for Abbi Waxman

When I read that Abbi Waxman's latest novel, Adult Assembly Required, was a follow-up to The Bookish Life of Nina Hill, I was excited.  I loved quirky bookworm Nina, especially how she dealt with her social anxiety.  The main character in Adult Assembly Required is Laura.  She suffers from anxiety too, although hers stems from a car accident.  In every other way, Laura is different from Nina.  She's into baseball, not books, wears sweats instead of vintage dresses, and runs every day.  (Upon meeting her, Nina makes Laura promise that she won't try to make Nina "healthy.")  Yet despite their opposing interests, Laura and Nina begin to bond.

Not that this is the focus of Adult Assembly Required.  That would be Laura's friendship-and-possibly-more with Impossibly Handsome Bob, a character from Waxman's first book, The Garden of Small Beginnings.  Contrary to his name, Bob isn't a ladies' man.  In fact, he can barely talk to women without tripping over his words.  I found this endearing because so many hot heroes are stuck on themselves.  Indeed, Bob's aw shucks demeanor is the puzzle piece missing from most leading men.  That's why his sweet, slow courtship of Laura is refreshing -- even if it's fraught with misunderstandings beneath its dignity.  But I was willing to let that slide in deference to the tenet that only trouble in interesting.  Also because Laura and Bob are good people whose biggest flaws are that they get in their own way.  That's the thing about Waxman's books.  The characters may be smarter than most -- but they're nicer than most too.  Mix in lots of wry humor, and you have brain candy worth the calories.  

Speaking of candy, one of my favorite scenes takes place during a Halloween festival:

"Unsurprisingly, Polly was a huge fan of dressing up, Nina was not, and Laura was somewhere in between.  This resulted in the following disparity: Polly was dressed as a banana, complete with a giant foam costume and shoes made of fake banana leaves; Laura was dressed as a monkey holding a banana, which simply meant she was wearing a giant onesie with ears and a tail she'd bought on Amazon; and Nina was eating a banana and making fun of the other two." (333)

Now, that's my kind of cerebral silly.  Way to go bananas, Waxman.  

9 comments:

Lovely said...

The characters sound amazing. I will check out the book.
xoxo
Lovely
www.mynameislovely.com

ellie said...

I have this one on my list to read. Great to see your review! Yes, it's good to see so many wonderful friendships in this book. I really enjoyed your review. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Thanks so much for reading and your comments. I hope you are having a fabulous October. Looks like you are finding some fun books to read.

Hollyn'Stevie said...

Awesome to find your review about this book. I have been thinking about this one. It seems to be written where you don't have to read the earlier one, although, you may want to after reading this one. Great review!💗💗💗💗💗

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, these two are so different. And then to bring in the ML who is so offbeat. I loved the title to this book too.💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💘💘💘💘💘💘 As you probably know, I do like offbeat characters! Thanks so much for your comments. Parents do have a way of not being sympathetic as one might expect.

Ivy's Closet said...

Awesome to see your review on this book. I do want to read it. I will confess I have not read the first one. Did you like this one as much as the first one?

Well, I survived another weekend at the library. Saturday was indeed slow and all the wacky questions had to come up the last fifteen minutes, or so it seemed. And so many nonfiction books to check-in. Especially, vegan ones. Colleen Hoover still seems to be our most popular author.

Thanks so much for being here. Thank you for your comments too!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I could see how you might identify with Nina who was a bookworm and liked vintage dresses! I enjoyed your review and insight into the character's personalities. I've never read any of her books.

Kinga K. said...

I like that type of humor in books <3 Have a nice week !

Samantha said...

What a fun read!! I love book characters who are smart AND nice - now that's a lovely combination. And a male lead who is shy? Now that's amazing (and rare!). The quote you included is fabulous; it's right in time for Halloween season, to boot! :)

The Book Group said...

I really like the title to this book. Oh, I have had quite a week already..it feels..doctor appointments that lasted way too long, cat stories and of course, the library. AND it's gotten COLD..and we finally just turned on the heat. Stay Cozy!