Thursday, October 15, 2009

Make and Tell Challenge: Day 45


Tonight I sealed the Cool Treats tote with an iron. I'm still contemplating adding some rhinestones but am not sure yet. Next I went on to iron three blank totes. (I need to iron them before drawing the designs because they come folded in threes, and the creases are very sharp.) I drew and began painting the first one. It's beachy, keeping in line with my summer theme. But I must admit that my imagination has begun to wander, with some not-so-beachy design ideas beginning to take root. Not that this is a bad thing. Not at all; I would hate to think of myself as getting stuck in a creative rut. It's just that I think it's important to discipline myself into creating some continuity in my pieces so that they aren't all over the place, and therefore confusing to customers. The solution? I'm forging ahead with the summer thing -- with the loophole that it can include some fringe, semi-summer creations. This shouldn't be hard because my designs are almost always colorful and involve fruit more often than not -- two decidedly summery things. You know that saying about creativity begetting more creativity? Well, it couldn't be more true. The more I paint, the more ideas I get for new paintings. It's wonderful and maddening, mostly because I don't have the time to sit down and make it all happen immediately.

No comments: