Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Something New and Sparkly: Felt in Bloom


Fabulous Felt Avocados Necklace

Fabulous Felt Sunflowers Necklace

This is a cheerful trio, don't you think? I usually sketch my necklace designs before making them, but the sunflowers and bright flowers just came to me as I worked with the felt. Maybe by spring I'll have made a whole garden of them.

The Fabulous Felt Avocados Necklace was of less spontaneous origins. It had been brewing in my head for some time, so I was psyched to finally make it. Or at least I was until the other night when I'd nearly finished devouring two avocados only to find a fruit fly nestled in the bowels of the goopy remnants. Some people think that fruit flies are harmless. But they're not. They're evidence that larvae are lurking somewhere in your produce. Not that I looked this up or anything. But I did do that fruit fly experiment back in high school, the one where you tote vials of maggots in your backpack so that you may cross-breed the resulting flies and draw those horrid Punnett squares to figure out the probability of them having red eyes and whatnot. And that's all the proof I need.

No comments: