Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Something New and Sparkly: Fabulous Felt Birds of a Feather

Fabulous Felt Three Birds Necklace

Fabulous Felt Peacock Necklace

Fabulous Felt Owl Necklace

I've always liked birds. I had a blue parakeet named Arabella when I was about twelve. (I had no idea whether Arabella was in fact a she or a he held prisoner by a name best associated with parasols and tea parties. All I could do was hope for the best.) Arabella and I coexisted peacefully, save for the half dozen times I forgot to cover my mirror with a towel and she flew straight into it, only to trickle down cartoon-style (and unharmed, I might add) to the bureau below. A year or so into this I decided to give her away. It wasn't just the mirror thing. It was also that she sometimes got lost in my bedroom, which was the same blue as she was, and I feared tripping over her tiny corpse one day. But the last straw was the worm-like creatures I discovered floating in her water. ("Worm-like creatures" sounds more comforting than the balder, no-turning-back "worms," doesn't it?) Coupled with algebra and acne, it was all more than my preteen self could handle.

Maybe someday I'll revisit the whole pet thing by investing in some nice peaceful fish. But for now I'll stick to my felt menagerie. The birds in this necklace trio are much easier to maintain than real ones and will never die. No threat of corpses here! I like them in the order they're presented, with the Fabulous Felt Three Birds and Peacock necklaces exceeding my expectations. The Owl's okay too. But to be honest, I'd hoped for a little more "wow" from him.

No comments: