Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Book Report: Vision in White by Nora Roberts


Remember when I read the last book in Nora Roberts's Bride Quartet series first and said I'd go back and start reading the books properly, from the beginning? No? That's okay. I figured as much but couldn't stop myself from starting this post with a question :)

Well, I finally got around to book one, Vision in White, an aptly-named tale about a fiery redheaded wedding photographer named Mackensie and a charmingly befuddled English professor named Carter. (The next installment is called Bed of Roses and stars a florist, and the one after that is Savor the Moment and showcases a pastry chef. Cute, huh?) The said professor is too perfect to be believed, not in a Joe Cool kind of way (obviously, and anyway, what woman wants that?), but in a so-smitten-he-stumbles-over-his-words-and-doesn't-even-notice-other-women kind of way. Plus, he reads. I think we can all take a collective sigh of envy. But Mackensie, or Mac, as she's more familiarly known, has a manipulative mom and a fear of getting hurt and keeps him at an emotional arm's length for most of the book. I know, I know. Such women exist only in the realm of fiction, whereas most real women would jump at the chance to shackle themselves to such a specimen. But as they say, only trouble is interesting.

Sprinkled by shoe shopping expeditions (electric blue boots, anyone?) and descriptions of lust-worthy wardrobes (including a pair of lime green pumps I'm trying to wish into existence), Vision in White is your typical cotton candy romance: frothy, feminine, and cloyingly sweet. But tasty. Because, honestly, who doesn't like a little cotton candy every now and then?

No comments: