Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Hood Seasons: The More You Snow, the More You Grow

Ice Princess Necklace

Sweater: Merona, Target
Shoes: 2 Lips Too, JCPenney

I've spent more than my fair share of posts complaining about Old Man Winter.  The cold, the dark, the clunky boots, and, of course, the nasty driving conditions.  But today is the first day of spring, which means that it's officially over.  Also that it's safe to reflect on that one day when my Honda and I braved the tundra.

It wasn't as if the storm had come on suddenly, like a squall slicing a tranquil day.  No, I saw the flakes begin to fall while still at work around lunchtime.  Usually, the first flurry is enough to make me hightail it home.  But this time I stayed put.  For one thing, the news said that it wouldn't stick.  For another, I was tired of being afraid of the weather.

In other words, I got cocky.

When I left four hours later, the parking lot was an icy blanket.  With the help of a kind coworker, I cleaned off my car and crawled away, gripping the steering wheel like a life raft.  It was pretty grim.  My heart was pounding, and people were passing me left and right.  Then I heard Incubus's "Drive" on the radio.  You know.  That song about overcoming fear, and quite possibly (at least in this case), a fear of driving:

"Sometimes
I feel the fear of
Uncertainty stinging clear

And I
Can't help but ask myself how much I'll let the fear
Take the wheel and steer
It's driven me before and seems to have a vague

Haunting mass appeal
But lately I'm beginning to find that I
Should be the one behind the wheel"

I took it as a sign.  If Brandon Boyd could choose water over wine, then I could get myself home.  Who knew how many other people felt this way, how many other "special snowflakes" were, at that very moment, white-knuckling it through the elements?  It gave me hope, and it gave me courage, and when I finally inched into my driveway, I felt like I'd slayed a dragon.

A few days later it snowed again, although this time not nearly as much.  The husband built a snowman and snapped this pic of me with it, albeit wearing Betsey Johnson earmuffs instead of a hood.


If nothing else, then it's photographic evidence that snow can be fun.  And that I can't resist kooky headgear.

Then last night, I chased off my inner Abominable Snowman once and for all by making this Ice Princess Necklace (above).  It's more delicate than my usual stuff, but the glittery sky blue and white remind me that winter isn't just treacherous, but beautiful.  Kind of like admiring an exquisite ice sculpture instead of imagining some kid's tongue stuck to it.  Or appreciating the elegance of an icicle without thinking that it's going to impale Marvin the Mailman.  Also, it sort of screams Frozen.  Which is about as dark as a vanilla milkshake.

So I learned something from Old Man Winter.  Now class is in session with Senorita Spring.  (Which I know isn't a thing.  But it should be.)

Watch out, allergies, mosquitoes, and sunburn.  Mulan is coming for you.   

2 comments:

Samantha said...

The necklace is so beautiful and very much reminds me of an ice princess!! I love that you heard "Drive" at such a perfect time, and the lyrics certainly help with inspiring you to face your fears and take hold of the wheel (in your case, quite literally!) Good job on tackling the winter weather and proving you could do it. You look so cute in your pink winter gear (those earmuffs are PERFECTION!)

Jewel Divas Style said...

Big puffy pink earmuffs, matching coat and boots. Well done on a matching set.

We're yet to reach winter, but it's already quite chilly at night.