Sunday, March 31, 2019

Second Banana-Rama: Fresh Off the Tote

Something for the fashion savvy sleepwalker.  

Pajamas: Simply Vera, Kohl's
Shoes: Delicious, Zulily
Bag: Betsey Johnson, Amazon



Top: eric and lani, Macy's
Skirt: Bubblegum, Macy's
Shoes: Bucco, Kohl's
Bag: Bisou Bisou, JCPenney
Pineapple wristlet: City Streets, JCPenney



Top: Zulily
Skirt (a dress!): Modcloth
Shoes: Guess, DSW
Bag: T-Shirt & Jeans, Zulily

Guess what?  The Tote Trove is going bananas!  Which means that we have lots of bananas today.  Both exotic and familiar, this potassium-packed treat is at home in a Caribbean headdress as it is in a kindergartner's lunchbox.  That's what makes it so -- yes -- a-peel-ing.

As a fan of fruit motifs in general and yellow in particular, I've got a whole bunch of bananas in my wardrobe.  One of the newest additions is this T-Shirt & Jeans clutch:


The brand's tagline is: "The bag defines your style."  Although I don't subscribe to this philosophy (wear a plain tee and jeans?  I'd sooner sport a mullet.), I like the thought behind it, that is, that a great bag can make your whole look.

One thing I didn't have in my cornucopia was any Bananas in Pyjamas merchandise.  (And yes, "pyjamas" is spelled with a "y." I think it's an Australian thing.)  Surely you remember this famed produce pair as part of the '90s craze of adults donning costumes and singing for the sake of kiddie TV.  (Hey, just be thankful that I'm not getting all misty eyed over the Teletubbies.)  Anyway, the Bananas in Pyjamas wore blue and white striped (what else?) pajamas, they came down the stairs . . . and that's all I know because I never actually watched them.  I just thought that they were so cute.  (Would apples have been as endearing?  I think not.)  As a teenager, I saw the stuffed animals (fruit?) versions at a True Value Hardware while on vacation in Stone Harbor, and to this day, I regret not buying them.  Especially now that they're on Amazon for upwards of fifty dollars.  But I still wanted to include their sweet little faces in this post, so I persevered with my search.  The most economical -- and interesting -- option turned out to be this tee featuring the dynamic duo:


Tee: Amazon
Skirt: Dickies, Dolls Kill
Shoes: Christian Siriano for Payless
Bag: Nine West
Sunglasses: Michaels

Now, it's a little big for my taste (in this photo I've folded it under).  Which means that I'll probably wear it around the house or tie it at the the side to give it that '80s-rific crop top vibe.  Nevertheless, it looks great with this super old black and yellow necklace, whose color scheme is subtly reminiscent of the Grinch's iconic greasy black peel.  Which, while disturbing, isn't as bad as being like the seasick crocodile.

Super Old No Name Necklace

I can't help but wonder what the T-Shirt & Jeans people would say about that. 

5 comments:

Samantha said...

I am loving the banana theme you have going on in this post!!! That new banana necklace is so cute and goes so well with your ensembles and accessories. (I laughed at your "I'd sooner sport a mullet" comment!) This post takes me back because I absolutely LOVED that show!!! The bananas were so cute, and I know I had stuffed animals of them. I'll have to see if I kept them. Such a fun post and I love the "Super Old No Name Necklace"!

Dressed With Soul said...

Oh, although I don't know to what kind of people I belong I love all your wonderful banana pieces! I have only one shirt with bananas but I like the fun effect of it :) Especially the last combo is wonderful - although the shirt may be a bit too long!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

sonia // daring coco said...

OMG Bananas in Pyjamas! Wasn't there some kind of controversy surrounding them? Or was it that the show ended because our government cut funding to the network who airs them? I can't remember but someone last week brought them up and was hinting at some scandal. I acted like I knew what they were talking about and was meant to google this when I got home hahaha!

Sxx
daringcoco.com

Tanza Erlambang said...

banana looks cute

Jewel Divas Style said...

Sadly, the Bananas came to an end due to funding. It aired on the ABC, a network the taxpayers fund to the cost of 1 billion a year, which I thought was absolutely disgusting when I found out, but that's another story.

The spelling is normal to the rest of the world, lol, just not America - http://www.lostinthepond.com/2014/08/why-dont-americans-spell-pyjamas-like.html#.XMRNGLdLjX4