Sunday, April 28, 2019

Evergreen Queen: Song of Sophia


When the husband and I were buying our house, we noticed something strange on our street involving pine trees.  But it wasn't in the vein of Wayward Pines or even The Place Beyond the Pines.  No, it was a sign of a different kind of horror -- the horror of the nursing home.  Which is a very serious matter and nothing to joke about.  Except, of course, on a sitcom.  And in this case that sitcom was The Golden Girls.


Ah, Shady Pines.  The name of the nursing home where Dorothy once stuck Sophia, and as such, part of Sophia's origin story.  Who could forget the pilot when Sophia comes to live with Dorothy, Blanche, and Rose by breezing into the palm-choked living room and blithely announcing, "The home burned down."?  Not to mention the rest of the series.  Every time Sophia comes close to wreaking havoc, Dorothy darkly intones, "Shady Pines, Ma, Shady Pines." That's all it takes for Sophia to abandon her latest scheme of rigging the talent show or selling fake autographs.

Yes, my love for The Golden Girls is as deep -- and as wacky -- as Sophia's Sicily stories.  So, when I saw this Shady Pines sign, I knew I was finally home.

That's why I risked life and limb (and any number of angry campers) to get a shot of it, earning this Girl Scout badge of a tree barrette for my troubles.

 Sweater: Jeanne Pierre, Marshalls; Blouse: HIP, Marshalls; Shoes: Chase & Chloe, Zulily


It's something that someone (someone other than Sophia, that is, as she's hardly the arts and crafts type.  More like the straight up crafty type) might have whipped up during activity hour at the home.  Which is kind of funny, as I whipped it up in my home -- where activity hour never ends.  What can I say?  I live a lot like the elderly.  That's probably why I heart them so much.

Well, that and their love of pudding.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

That's so cute that you came across that sign!! "The Golden Girls" is an awesome show indeed and the humor is outstanding. I love your new pine tree barrette, and it really does look like a cool badge of honor! The shoes are so darling, as well! The outfit comes together as a fashionable-scout ensemble. I live a lot like the elderly, too...I've been told that a lot, haha!

Dressed With Soul said...

I have to admit as I normally don't watch TV I saw "The Golden Girls" maybe only once or twice in my life. But I understand what the sign means to you and for sure I love your look with the Pine Tree Barrette!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com