Thursday, September 26, 2019

Record Store Snore: Up and Atom




These days, records are a thing of the past, and for that matter, so are CDs. Which is sad, because both can be beautiful. Although I still buy CDs, I don't usually stop to appreciate their packaging. Instead, I strip them of their cases, throw the cases away, and then shove them in the sleeves of my old (not quite suit) case (Everclear forever, Trevor. If you need to know who Trevor is, then Google Saved by the Bell).  But every now and then, a case has a design that grabs me.  I recently got two like this, one Walk the Moon, and one Greta van Fleet.  Both are a cross between outer space and the desert and have an eerie, otherworldly feel, suggesting that their music will take you where you need to go.  So, great going, art director people.  Because I always feel mellower whenever I hear Walk the Moon's "One Foot."  It's soothing yet electric.  Like a sloth strumming a sitar while downing Pop Rocks.

"Oh, through the wilderness
You and I we're walking through the emptiness
Oh, my heart is a mess
Is it the only defense against the wilderness?

Cross my heart and hope to die
Taking this one step at a time
Got your back if you got mine
One foot in front of the other
One foot in front of the other
One foot in front of the other"

These lyrics say it all, showing the importance of 1) having someone by your side as you take life, yes, one step at a time, and 2) remembering that the essence of you, whatever that means, is what you have to offer to and protect yourself from this crazy world. 

So, in honor of that and the trippy artwork, I framed Moon along with our gal Greta and put them on my nightstand. Right next to my souvenir stand-looking, seashell-covered jewelry box that I got, not at the beach, but at Marshalls. It's the ideal spot for them to sing, sleep, and drown out my alarm. Not to mention the alarms of the world.

By which, of course, I mean the Trevors.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

I can definitely see why you wanted to frame these; the artwork is stunning!! I have really grown to appreciate CD's, especially since they are indeed becoming a thing of the past (thanks for mentioning Everclear; I totally forgot I own one of their CD's!!) "Like a sloth strumming a sitar while downing Pop Rocks"...that is hands-down one of the funniest descriptions I've ever read! Lastly, those lyrics are beautiful, poignant, and sweet. Nice jewelry box, by the way! :)