Sunday, September 22, 2019

Photo Shoot Reboot




These days, reboots are old hat.  From "Fuller House" to "The Conners" to "Will & Grace" to "BH 90210," everything old is new again and there's no such thing as closing the door.  So I decided to crack my own open.

Years ago, I used to regularly post pictures of myself in a -- segment?  column?  feature?  Let's just be honest and say vanity piece -- that I called Photo Shoot Friday.  And then I felt weird about it and stopped.  I even went so far as to delete (almost) all those posts.  Afterwards, I felt as if a weight had been lifted -- no more hanging around in my outfit until the husband got home to take the pictures, no more worrying that the outfits weren't good enough.  Then, this past winter, I gradually started getting back into it.  I'd be wearing an outfit I really liked and think, I want to be able to look at this years from now -- and, yeah, maybe let the world look at it, too.  So I did and it's been more fun this time because 1) I'm in a house and have more space to work with (although this first pic was taken at my parents'.  You know I can't keep flowers like those!)  and 2) I'm more relaxed.  I don't post the pics on a schedule (or any at all that I'm not reasonably happy with!), but instead just when I feel like it.  And I try not to obsess that they're not polished enough or high res enough but instead accept all their imperfections -- real or imagined -- because they're mine. 

Also, maybe the outfits are getting better, or maybe I am.  Or maybe it's a little of both.  If there's one thing I've learned in the ten years that I've been doing this, it's that the older I get, the wiser I get, and the more like myself I become.

I hear that Tori Spelling feels the same.

3 comments:

Tanza Erlambang said...

you with flowers background are pretty

Samantha said...

I'm soooooo happy to read this!!! Good for you that you decided to reboot these photoshoots; your outfits, and you in general, are a joy to see! It's great that you feel more relaxed and the more like yourself you become. :) I love the bright colors your photos exude, and you own every look you wear! (I accidentally got hooked on the reboot of BH 90210, by the way...LOL!)

Jewel Divas Style said...

Nothing wrong with outfit posts. You see mine once a month and I prefer the au natural look of pics like ours instead of those perfectly coiffed ones that "influencers" put on social. I find them fake and unnatural.