Sunday, January 19, 2020

Glad Tidings and Tidying




 Outer Banks Pranks Necklace

Sweater: Cara Santana for Apt. 9, Kohl's
Coat: POPSUGAR, Kohl's
Skirt: Bongo, Sears
Shoes: Zulily
Bag: Betsey Johnson, Macy's
Striped bangle: Mixit, JCPenney
Yellow bangle: Silver Linings
Orange bangle: Mixit, JCPenney
Purple bracelet: Etsy
Green bracelet: Amrita Singh, Zulily

You know how Marie Kondo, author of The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, asks you to ask yourself, "Does this spark joy?" when deciding whether to keep or toss that alligator-shaped back scratcher?  (And no, I didn't read Tidying; I'd rather drink vinegar than read books about cleaning.)  Well, this star-spangled, faux fur jacket that I got for my birthday sparks so much joy that it's like the Fourth of July.  Not that it was or ever would be a candidate on my "toss" list.  Still, I wanted to express how much I love it.  And also make a pop culture reference.  Which, as you know, is something that I love too. 

You know who else loves stuff and isn't keen on tidying?  Rebecca Bloomwood of Shopaholic fame.  I just read Sophie Kinsella's Christmas Shopaholic (perfectly acceptable, as I still have my tree up), and it was an utter delight. 


I'm just going to say it: Kinsella's Shopaholic series is one of the best ever written.  Because it's all about chasing joy (hear that Marie?) wherever it takes you -- even if it turns out to be the mall.  Becky is quirky and spunky and full of life.  Creditors notwithstanding, she spreads sunshine wherever she goes.  Which makes her not a cautionary tale, but a role model.     

Anyway, in this Christmas-themed caper, Becky's parents sublet their house and move to the city, asking Becky to host Christmas for the first time.  Which sounds simple but isn't because each guest has his/her own ridiculous expectations.  Also, Becky's college boyfriend, who's a moody music nerd-turned-rock god, has surfaced with his wannabe-mogul girlfriend -- and an agenda.  But Becky doesn't let any of this stop her when it comes to planning the perfect celebration for her crew.  And as the grandaddy of gift-giving occasions, Christmas is the ideal season to showcase her antics.  For example: Your husband asks for aftershave?  Join a men's-only billiards club to win him a posh portmanteau instead!  Supermarket sold out of Tofurkeys for your vegan sister?  Cobble one together out of glazed doughnuts!  Schooled by a snooty browser in your best friend's gift shop?  Make up a Scandinavian word so intriguing that your friend emblazons it upon a whole line of tchotchkes that sell like hotcakes (and catch the not-so-forgiving eye of a Finnish official)!  Mixed with Becky's usual cringeworthy consumer hijinks, these misadventures and others add up to one heady holiday cocktail.  Of the hot pink umbrella kind, of course. 

It's no wonder that I'd rather be Rebecca Bloomwood than Marie Kondo.  But here's a secret: I'm more like Marie.  True, I'm not a great housekeeper.  But I'm organized and responsible and I like to plan things (ugh, I know; that sentence is about as tasty as wheat germ).  That's why I love to read about Becky and other free-spirited heroines.  It takes me out of my rigid self and reminds me that I can be freer, too.     

Note to self: Hang on to that alligator back scratcher.

5 comments:

Dressed With Soul said...

Oh, I think you can be proud that you are more like Marie! But I see you loved to read about Rebecca Bloomwood :) Wonderful jacket with the stars btw!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

sonia // daring coco said...

Ok. I need to check these books out because they sound delightful. I'm definitely into reading more escape type novels where I can live vicariously through another. And this sounds like the kind of daydreams I'm yearning for. Never ending pits of money for shopping and such, yes please!

Sxx
daringcoco.com

Tanza Erlambang said...

necklace so beautiful and book look interesting to read.

Samantha said...

An alligator back scratcher - love it!! The star jacket is so adorable, as are your stylish new creations (really love the colors on the black bow!) The book/series sounds cute (and looks it too with that cover!) It's great that you can gain perspective with reading about free-spirited heroines; it's nice to remind ourselves we can be freer (I'm also rather rigid!) :)

Jewel Divas Style said...

I've never gotten into her books probably because the movie turned me off. Characters who would rather stick their head in the sand over their issues and then make a mess of everything else annoy me. Their life is one big drama, and I don't need theirs on top of mine.