Monday, June 8, 2020

Hoop Scoop: The Big Bangle Angle



Orange Bad Bangle Necklace 

Yellow Bad Bangle Necklace 

Fuchsia Bad Bangle Necklace

Some years ago, I used three bangle bracelets to make a necklace that looked like this:


I called it Three Ring Circus for obvious reasons, not the least of which is the menagerie of animal beads cavorting just outside the fire-hued discs.  It Barnum and Bailey'd its way back into my life last week when I was rifling through my reject box for supplies.  And when I saw it, it spoke to me.  Sure, it was bizarre with its big, bad trio of multicolored rings cobbled together with grade C carabiners.  But I knew that it had potential.  Plus, I still wanted the bangle angle.  Because bangles are everything.  I persist in my belief that their talents extend far beyond adorning the wrist, which, let's face it, is not prime real estate, so often hidden behind a handbag or the meaty paw of a Street Fighter-esque suitor.  So I got to work.  I changed out some of the cabochons, then made three necklaces using my new, oh-so-flexible friend, satin ribbon.  And the results are very pleasing, the stuff of opening night rave reviews -- even if I wrote those reviews myself and they're about, not Broadway, but the big top.

I guess sometimes less really is more.

Except when it comes to clown cars.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Ahhh, I love what you did with the necklace, turning it into three separate new ones! I love the neon colors and the satin ribbon indeed makes them super flexible! The photo with them draped around the bananas looks so tropical. ❤️ "...less really is more, except when it comes to clown cars"...hahaha!

Jewel Divas Style said...

Nice. I raided my trunk a month or so ago and found my bangles from my kid/teen years and I have wavy ones just like this. Bizarrely, they still fit me.