Sunday, June 14, 2020

Oh Great, Oh Golly, a New Paper Dolly: Please Save Me from Scrubbing this Toilet


Cat & Jack, Target 


Banned, Modcloth


Two Betsey dresses are better than one,
Two Betsey dresses mean two times the fun.
Ms. Johnson dresses, so pretty and new,
Just the right garb for a great girl like you!

Sort of sounds like a little girl's birthday card, huh?  The kind that comes with a paper doll and coats you with glitter when you open it.  I may be thirty-eight, and it may not be my birthday, but I was super psyched to find this pair of Betsey Johnson dresses for a song on Zulily.  I love their crisp '40s-'50s silhouettes, from their pretty puffed sleeves to their gently flared skirts.  I especially like the lemon-print one because it's my two favorite colors: sky blue and yellow.  If you look closely, you can see that it even has lemon-shaped buttons (the floral one has rose-shaped buttons, although they're kind of camouflaged).  I think it's these whimsical, one-of-a-kind Betsey details that really sold me on these frocks.  Wearing them makes me feel like one of those retro ladies on magnets and notepads who make cracks about not doing housework.  Take that, Donna Reed.  (Just kidding.  I love you, Donna, especially in It's a Wonderful Life when you say that that crumbling old house is full of charm and romance.  Also, when you ask Jimmy Stewart why he must torture the children.).  Because no little girl wants to grow up to do laundry and vacuum all day.  Instead, we want to play grown-up dress-up, whether that means putting on something pretty or a lab coat or -- and here's an idea -- a lab coat that's pretty.  I can see it now, classic white with rainbow floral lapels and maybe a belt to cinch it in.  Get in on this, med wear manufacturers.  It's a goldmine.       

Bathroom cleaner companies, sorry not sorry.

4 comments:

Dressed With Soul said...

Dear Tracy, I reallly understand your love for such dresses as I love such cuts, too. You combined the dresses in an amazing way and I'm happy we live now in 2020 - (and that our son and my husband are scrubbing our toilets) :)
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

Samantha said...

Love your poem! Those dresses are absolutely darling!!! You're so right about them having the'40s - '50s look. The floral pins are the perfect addition to each dress (and your handbags!) "Instead, we want to play grown-up dress-up, whether that means putting on something pretty or a lab coat or -- and here's an idea -- a lab coat that's pretty." You said it best! Maintaining the desire to play dress-up no matter what age one gets is truly the best!

Kinga K. said...

This blue dress is perfect for you ❤ Great photos ❤

Jewel Divas Style said...

I love the bags. Can never have enough bags, and one with a pot of gold at that.