Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Give 'em the Slip Skirt

From left to right: Vylette, Kohl's; Vylette, Kohl's; Candies, Kohl's

Remember the '90s, when slip skirts and dresses came into style, and people were worried about girls going out in public in their underwear?

Yeah, me neither.

Well, these not-so-slinky styles are back.  To, you know, not cause a stir.  Sometimes, seeing old stuff resurface makes me feel -- well, old.  Like, if I last wore something in high school, then how old does that make me now?!  I say this a lot -- but that's because I feel it a lot, especially as I edge toward forty.  Mind you, it's not that I feel decrepit.  It's just weird that I've been around this long.  That said, getting older isn't all bad, especially because it means getting to be part of history.  And when it comes to fashion, everything old becomes new again, proving that old things are not only still relevant, but sometimes better than new ones.  Kind of like when you find an old jelly bean stuck under your couch cushions and discover that not only has it not lost its flavor, but that time has made it tastier.  So, I snagged a few.  Slip skirts, not jelly beans.  (I don't know about you, but I have no desire to end this trend rebirth train with a trip to the gastroenterologist.)  The skirts that I scored are satin (okay, a satiny polyester), that fabric of fabrics for grunge era wannabe lingerie.  The dress has a sheen, too, although it's more matte.  It was fun shopping (online) for them, like I was in Wet Seal burning up my Fashion Bug paycheck, only not in Wet Seal and with more money to spend.   

Speaking of old vs. new, I had a rager of a time pairing my new old threads with the ones already in my closet.  So, what delightfully mad mix debuts in outfit number one?  Why, it's my new tie dye slip skirt with my beloved old Polaroid tee!  You may remember me wearing it here and here.  What can I say?  This tee was made for pictures.


 Striped bangle: Mixit, J. C. Penney's; Other bangles: B Fabulous; Bag: Sugar Thrillz, Dolls Kill

Outfit number two is all about this leopard slip dress.  The husband said I look like I'm (angrily) waiting for my prom date to get out of prison.  I disagree, though, because 1) this dress is nowhere near prom level formal and 2) this leopard is more Barbie than Bratz.  Still, it makes a statement.  And that statement is, "Don't mess with me, or I'll hit you will my "kiss my patch" purse."


Bag: Olivia Miller, J.C. Penney's; Sunglasses: Mudd, Kohl's; Maroon bangle: Iris Apfel for INC, Macy's; Pink bracelet: Amrita Singh, Zulily; Other bangles: B Fabulous

Belt: Belt is Cool, Amazon; Shoes: Chase & Chloe, Zulily 

Finally, outfit number three brings a cold front with an Icee tee.  It was a gift from the husband, and I've had it forever.  When I put it on, I was surprised by how long it was, then I remembered that that was the style circa 2010.  One hair tie later and it cropped up and got with the program, all the better to flatter the red slip skirt.  Rock on, Ronald McDonald color palette!


Bangle: Gifted; Black and white bracelet: Mixit, J. C. Penney's; Choker: Kohl's

And that about does it for this '90s throwback.  It's been real.  Thanks, slip skirts/dresses.  Also, Courtney Love and Cher (of Clueless, not Sonny and Cher) and every other '90s icon who wore you so well. 

Next up, crocheted beanies with matching hacky sacks.  Just kidding.  

Or am I?

Find me on the quad to find out.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Slip skirts are soooo cute! I wish I had more of them. You totally rock it well with your Polaroid top and sandal platforms. "The husband said I look like I'm (angrily) waiting for my prom date to get out of prison." - I laughed out loud at that! Also, that purse you're rocking with the patches is so awesome. Love the style. Last but not least, that yellow Icee top is the cutest thing ever! Your accessories go so well with everything!

Jewel Divas Style said...

Ah, slip skirts/dresses. Slip dresses came back into fashion last decade, or the decade before, and it always looked like women were wearing nothing underneath them. And they don't always fit properly.

Rockin' those clothes, and your Polaroid top matches your...thongs? Platform thongs? Flip Flops? What do you call them?