Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Covert Missions and New Traditions: Home is Where the Tart Is

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Sophie Kinsella's stories make me happy.  These books are sunsets stuffed in cupcakes wrapped in rainbows.  So when it was my turn to pick for the book club I'm in with my mom and sister, I went with Kinsella's latest, The Party Crasher, a quirky family dramedy with all the feels.

Twenty-six-year-old Effie Talbot is devastated by her parents' divorce.  To make matters worse, her father has a sexy new girlfriend, a nightmare of a woman named Krista who's persuaded him to sell Greenoaks, the Talbots' beloved, so-ugly-it's-cute family home.  Effie's older brother and sister have adopted a stiff upper lip, but stubborn and sensitive Effie is having none of it, refusing to attend Krista's farewell gala, which she wasn't exactly invited to anyway.  But then Effie remembers that her cherished Russian nesting dolls are still hidden somewhere inside Greenoaks.  So she decides to slip into the party incognito to find them, without any of her siblings -- or her now-famous childhood sweetheart -- seeing her.  I don't have to tell you that this is a mission riddled with narrow escapes, epic eavesdropping, and surprises for everyone.  Throughout it all, Effie finds out that things aren't always what they seem, forcing her to finally, maybe, grow up.

Effervescent with all the madcap humor, warmth, and spot-on character insights that ignite every Kinsella novel, The Party Crasher is plus-one perfection.  I don't know how she does it, but, as always, Kinsella delivers a fun and witty confection of a story that also offers up truths about life.  She just gets it.    

The Party Crasher is one party you won't want to miss.

7 comments:

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, Sophie is so seasoned! And she really knows how to put together such a wonderful character too! Thanks so much for the review!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Oh, the pressure to want to write more. Thanks so much for reading a commenting. Wishing you a fantastic holiday! Thanks for being here!

Ivy's Closet said...

Such an impressive review! Yes, it's a fun one! And I love your review! Wishing you lots of good memories. Thank you for being you and always so inspiring!

Hollyn'Stevie said...

Thanks so much for this fantastic review. I so love how you ended this review too. It just makes me want to look back at this author's work. >>>>>>>>>>>>> Oh, I have to admit I do like having fun with Holly although, she might be the worst at friendships and romance.

Better Left Unsaid said...

Oh, such a wonderful bookcover! Love your review! Her main character is quite the character..=) Happy Thanksgiving Eve💕

ellie said...

Oh, Kinsella does deliver! And so do you! Awesome review! Happy Thanksgiving. Really, I never knew I would be writing about Thanksgiving so much. And all the problems that come with it. Thanks for reading and all your comments..and your inspiring outfits too!🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍂🍂🍂🍂🍂🍂💕💕💕💕💕💗💗💗💗💗

Samantha said...

"These books are sunsets stuffed in cupcakes wrapped in rainbows." Awesome description!! This book sounds like a whole lot of fun with its mission filled with narrow escapes. I think it's so cool that you're part of a book club with your mom and sister. ❤

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Great review of this fun sounding book and very pretty uplifting sounding description of the book-. I love that you are in a bookclub with your mom and sister. It's so wonderful to be close with your family.