Monday, November 7, 2022

Flowering Trees and Sparkling Seas: The Power of Prince Edward Island


You know how you read a book and it turns out to be bad?  And then you read another book, and that one's bad too?  And they're both so bad that you want to forget about them and most certainly not blog about the experience?  Well, that's what happened to me last week.  So I turned to a tome that could never let me down: The Landscapes of Anne of Green Gables.


In this pictorial treasury, creative writing professor Catherine Reid highlights the life and times of Anne of Green Gables author L. M. Montgomery.  Which was a delight and a comfort to me because Anne of Green Gables is my favorite book.  Reid weaves passages from Montgomery's -- scratch that, Maud's -- books and journals with photographs of her beloved Prince Edward Island in a way that makes you feel like you're there.  Unmatched in its unkempt beauty, this smallest of the Canadian provinces beats at the heart of Maud's classic novel.  Anyone who's read and been changed by Anne of Green Gables knows that it's Anne's connection to the natural world that makes her story so special.  For this eleven-year-old orphan, every earthly thing brims with whimsy.  Flowers are friends, forests are haunted, and brooks always mind their manners.  Humans have failed Anne for so long that she turns to nature for strength and solace.  And the same was true for her creator.

Although not an orphan, Maud was raised by her grandparents and suffered from a series of hardships, including depression.  Writing about rainbowed skies, ice crystal-cast woods, and rioting gardens -- and a girl who wouldn't let life beat her -- transported her to a more welcoming world.  Even the title of her most famous book showcases the color of nature, rebirth, and second chances.


The other night, I was crafting and re-watching You've Got Mail, which is a movie I thought I didn't like (random, I know, but stay with me), when I was struck by the scene where Meg Ryan's Kathleen Kelly is closing her bookshop for good.  One customer tells her that Kathleen's mother, who owned the shop before her, sold her a copy of Anne of Green Gables and advised her to read it with a box of tissues.  Then the woman starts sobbing, and Kathleen produces some Kleenex.  By that point, the movie was already growing on me (due in no small part to Kathleen's confession that daisies are the friendliest flower), but that cinched it.  Because anyone who understands Anne -- from Kathleen Kelly to Nora Ephron to that crying customer -- can't be all that bad.


And Reid, to use Maud’s own parlance, tops this list as a true kindred spirit.  Her love and reverence for Maud and Anne radiate from every page of her heartfelt tribute. 

In Anne of Green Gables, Anne famously says, "I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."  And although, as you know, I'm no fan of fall, I appreciate the sentiment.  

Because I'm so glad to live in world where there's Anne and Maud and Prince Edward Island.    

12 comments:

Mor Düşler Kitaplığı said...

I like Anne of Green Gables. The book looks so amazing. I want to read it. :)

camdandusler said...

Thanks for your sharing..

ellie said...

Such a beautiful book and lovely quotes to throughout your wonderful review. Thanks so much. Definitely, a great time of year to bring out Anne. This looks like an amazing place to visit!💗💗💗💗💗💗Thanks so much for your comments. Oh, just keep finding new characters..which I never know is a good thing or now, but I felt Tony was perfect for Ting. & yes..Poppy is suddenly the center of attention too. I hope you are having a good November. Well, the birthday season starts this week. And of course, VOTE today! [Side Story-we had some lady assaulted in front of the library when she put her mail-in ballot in the ballot box. That was a shock.

Ivy's Closet said...

So beautiful! Such a delight to read. Oh, it's been awhile since I have watched the show, too. It seems to be something people like to check out around Thanksgiving. We recently got new copies of the show and moved them to the Adult section. We also have a lot of variations of this series in books too. I will have to look for this one you spoke of. It's definitely sweater weather here and by Thursday we just might get snow.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Such great sentiments. Oh, you do find the heart of it! Love the review. Happy November. Hope it's full of sweet moments! Good books and of course, lots of warm apple tea. Thanks so much for being here. Thanks for reading and your comments too.

Cherry Blossoms said...

Definitely, a character and place of much love to adore. Also, it keeps you in perspective of the essentials of love and life. Thanks so much for the lovely review. Great to see it!

Hollyn'Stevie said...

Oh, such a great place to visit in thought with such a great book. Love the review. I loved how you got in the YOU GOT MAIL segment too. Such a great appreciation for Edward Island and of course this amazing character!

The Book Group said...

Love this review. Yes, it's a wake-up call..I need to find this book. Such a great way to set the Thanksgiving mood.

Such a great appreciation for this wonderful character and place! Happy Novemeber!

Better Left Unsaid said...

Adoring the post! Oh, a lot I really didn't know about this character, etc. I loved the YOU GOT MAIL part too. It's always great to find someone who can really inspire you with what they love about books and certain characters. Thanks so much for being here.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I love Anne of Green Gables and I do love fall and her quote! I'm thinking I should go back and watch " you've got mail". I saw it years ago and remember it being light and enjoyable despite I'm not a big Meg Ryan fan. I hate when I read a book or watch Netflix and I don't really like it and am not motivated to write about it.

Samantha said...

What a gorgeous book!! It's amazing that this landscapes book was created, because it looks as if it truly brings the story scenery to life (I've never read Anne of Green Gables, but have heard it referenced a lot, notably in You've Got Mail, as you mentioned!) And of course, it's great to fall back on a book that you know won't disappoint, like your previous recent reads! The photographs you snapped of it are truly stunning. Rainbowed skies are certainly a sight to behold! "Flowers are friends, forests are haunted, and brooks always mind their manners. Humans have failed Anne for so long that she turns to nature for strength and solace. And the same was true for her creator." Beautifully said! (Side note: I received the barrette and it's so beautiful! I can't leave a review until the 17th, but I look forward to leaving one). :)

Sakuranko said...

Oh very cute book darling