Sunday, February 14, 2010

Make and Tell Challenge, Day 166: Outlining and Thoughts on the Truman Show


I anticipated outlining eight tiny totes this afternoon. This did not happen; I outlined two. But two is better than none, right? Plus, I also retagged the rest of my medium totes, which is time consuming.

I painted in front of the TV again, TBS blaring as always. One of today's movies was The Truman Show, which I've seen many times. It never fails to give me the creeps. I can't help but think the story of Truman unknowingly living in a controlled environment (a TV show) is a metaphor for life. As in, we think we have choices but are really limited by the choices that society makes for us. Christophe (creator of the Truman show, played by Ed Harris) himself says, "We accept the reality of the world with which we are presented." Christophe also says that the world he's created for Truman is safe and secure, unlike the real world. Yet it's this very "safety" that is so dangerous because it symbolizes the absence of freedom and original thought. Of course, Truman figures it all out and escapes in the end. Which is a nice message to end on.

That's all for deep thoughts today. I'm off to Valentine's dinner with the bf.

No comments: