Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Punch Line? Feeling Fine! The Tears of a Clown are the Saddest

Judd Apatow's Sicker in the Head hit me the same way that his first book, Sick in the Head did.  Which is to say that it's not a laugh-a-minute collection of interviews with comedians and entertainers, but an introspective look at how the comedy sausage is made.  And one of the main ingredients, unsurprisingly, is emotional damage.  Because for all its seeming frivolity, comedy is a coping mechanism.  And if laughter is the best medicine, then comedians self medicate.  Apatow puts it best in his foreword:

"I have always seen comedy as a lifeline -- which is why I've been interviewing comedians about why they do what they do since I was fifteen years old.  Without comedy, I don't know how I would survive.  When the pandemic was at full force, I grabbed my family and made a really silly movie.  I didn't know what else to do.  Is that healthy?  Is it denial?  Is it medicine?  Is it sick?  I am not sure.  But now I know that when the world seems to be collapsing my reaction is to make a movie about a group of people having a meltdown during a pandemic as they attempt to make a movie about flying dinosaurs." (Apatow XII)

Apatow picks the brains of many beloved funny people, including Jimmy Kimmel, John Mulaney, Mindy Kaling, Pete Davidson, and Samantha Bee, ending, appropriately, with Will Ferrell.  Because who better than the guy who wrote "I've got a fever -- and the only prescription is more cowbell" to close a conversation about being sick in the head?  Ferrell talks about that, how the idea for the famous Blue Oyster Cult sketch came to him because he roots for the underdog:

"Even just the notion of driving along and listening to "(Don't Fear) The Reaper," by Blue Oyster Cult and hearing a faint sound of a cowbell.  I don't know how I had that idea.  I remember, the first time I heard that song, for some reason I focused on the cowbell, and I immediately thought, What's that guy's life like?  Does he ever get to hang out?  The sad weirdo who's trying to be a part of the group really appeals to me." (451)

Me too, Will.  Me too. 

4 comments:

Better Left Unsaid said...

The cowbell sketch is one of my favorites of Will's. Really, it's always great when out of the noise comes comedy. Yes, I do agree about comedy being the coping aspect of reality sometimes. And to own it, you gotta feel it..as they say. I had been thinking of reading this one, but just haven't yet. Thanks for the review! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Thanks for your comments. Oh a part of me wants to post more than once of week but I know that would be too much.

ellie said...

It is always great to get the funny man's perspective and how it's done. Making life fun. The humor. What gives us that smile and of course the chaos we are in to even be touched? I know I would enjoy this one very much! Awesome review! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thanks for your comments. Yes, it hasn't been easy wanting to write about new characters when especially some readers who haven't read anything I've written all summer will think..what is this? Thanks for being here. Thanks for reading. Thanks for liking Gage too. A few years back I had written some stories about Gage. Initially, Henry hated Gage. He couldn't believe they were even related. Of course, Henry has changed a lot too.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

I have to find this book now! Thanks for the wonderful review. Oh, every time, I hear Don't Fear the Reaper I think of that funny skit. It was great! Getting insights from comedians is always a unique way of seeing how they get through life. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸 Thanks so much for your comments. Oh, it was great finding a way to use those sunflowers! & More! Thanks so much for being here. Hope all is going well with your creativity! Sometimes, it's interesting to find the dynamics to put a story together. Especially, for Bea and Frankie.

Samantha said...

What a fascinating read!! The cover is awesome, to start! I totally get the "comedy is a coping mechanism" thing. How cool that the author interviews comedic celebrities; I especially love Will Ferrell's commentary on how that famous sketch came to be! Such a brilliant and hilarious sketch, and his comment, "The sad weirdo who's trying to be a part of the group really appeals to me" is so sweet! I definitely agree with him, too. :)