Saturday, March 21, 2020

A Room of My Own: Part 1

 











It was Virginia Woolf who said that every woman -- and more specifically every woman writer -- needs a room of her own.  To express herself, collect her thoughts, and escape from domesticity (i.e., dirty dishes and spit-up).  As a woman with lots of thoughts -- and things -- I went ahead and claimed not one but two spaces.

The first is my closet.  When I look at everything in it, I find it hard to believe that most of it was once crammed into the bedroom in my Brigantine rental.  Moving into my house was like learning to breathe.  For the first time, I could really spread out and embrace decorating.  Also, avoid getting black and blue marks every time I wanted to finagle access to a certain bag/pair of pumps/feather boa.  (Side note: I hate that something as fab as a feather boa is named after something as awful as a boa constrictor.)  Sometimes, I just stand in this room and look around as if I've never seen it. The world falls away, sealing me in my bubble.  I feel like Rapunzel. Minus the super-long hair and captivity.

Now, in my eighth day of coronavirus-inspired self-quarantine, I'm more grateful than ever for my sanctuary.  Although I've (happily) spent the last week in pajamas, it's nice to see my wardrobe waiting.

That said, stay tuned for the second installment of A Room of My Own -- and see what's behind door number two.

4 comments:

sonia // daring coco said...

This is such a treat and cool insight into your world. I love the splay of colour, though I wouldn't expect any less. It is definitely a necessity (if you have the luxury) to have a little space for yourself as a writer. You need that place where you can just sit and think and be inspired by the "stuff" around you. Can't wait to see what's next, hope you're keeping safe right now.

Sxx
daringcoco.com

Dressed With Soul said...

Wow, your closet is a dream and I agree, that every woman should have an own room! It is wonderful you have that much space in your room and nothing is crammed like it was in your rental room. So you can see all your wonderful pieces! Hopefully you are well!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

Samantha said...

Your room is a dream room!!! How lucky you are! Your wardrobe is so bright and happy, and I also like spotting the amazing purses you own. And that rose rug!!! You look fabulous in your outfits posing by the closet. The bib necklace is so eye-catching and I love the mermaid vibes. Thanks for sharing your beautiful corner of the world!

Jewel Divas Style said...

I believe the appropriate words are "holy shit I need to live in your room".

This is AWESOME and I wish I had the same space but I just don't :(