Sunday, March 8, 2020

Office Flowers are Always Open


T-Shirt & Jeans, Amazon


LC Lauren Conrad, Kohl's


Betsey Johnson, Macy's

This post is about flowers and fruits and veggies and purses (see above carrot barrettes and veggie sweater.  For the record, fashion is the only way I let peas infiltrate my life).  It's also about my home office (a.k.a. the cactus room) where I write these posts, online shop, and pay bills with stamps like an old lady.  But you already knew that, right down to the stamps. 

Flowers make great metaphors.  Especially roses.  As in, "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden" and "Every Rose Has its Thorn".  Even this week's episode of "The Unicorn" (a sitcom about a widower named Wade [Walton Goggins] that I once watched ironically but now genuinely like) had a game called rose and thorn in it.  In an effort to help Wade's seventh-grader daughter Grace open up, his friends Delia (Michaela Watkins) and Michelle (Maya Lynne Robinson) suggest this exercise in which each person shares one good thing that happened that week -- that's the rose -- and one bad thing -- yes, that's the thorn.  And although it didn't ultimately work out -- Delia and Michelle had to reminisce about their own middle school misadventures before Grace finally spilled about her boy troubles -- I found the idea appealing.  So here are some of my roses and thorns from this week.


Roses:

I sold two brooches, one to someone in Arkansas and one to someone in Pennsylvania.

I got a box of free stuff from Kohl's.  No, they haven't decided to reward me for all the blogging I do about their products.  The loot was gratis because I had a "big fat check" from Rakuten and opted to upgrade it to a Kohl's gift card.  Which means it technically wasn't free because I had to spend a lot to get the cashback.  But it made me happy.  So, rose it is.

Thorns:

"This is Us" wasn't on.

My left thumbnail tore below the quick.  Ouch!


Playing rose and thorn is a good way to get stuff off your chest.  Or, even if you play it alone, a way to remain grateful.  For me, it comes in handy when life hands me something more seemingly insurmountable than a week without Jack Pearson's wisdom.  It reminds me to stay positive.  And open to the good stuff.

Like roses.  And '80s hair bands.  

4 comments:

Kinga K. said...

Cute bags ♥

Samantha said...

You are like spring personified!! I love the springy vibes of your outfits (the black dress really pops with the florals and accessories! Beautiful updo, too!) The veggie sweater is so cool and different (love the carrot clips in your hair!!). Rose and thorn is an excellent and well-balanced idea; congratulations on the brooch sales and the free goodies from Kohl's! I hope your thumbnail heals fast. :) Cheers to staying positive!

Dressed With Soul said...

Wow, such much flowers in this post! You are for me also like a wonderful flower and I adore the looks you have created. The amazing stuff you have in your closet obviously never ends <3
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

Jewel Divas Style said...

I love that chest of drawers in the first pic. I need something like that but just don't have the space.

Love that seat bag, so pretty.

And I've yanked plenty of nails from the nail bed. Hurts like hell.