Sunday, May 10, 2020

Keep Calm, Mom, and Have a Mimosa


What, you wanted brunch?  And a long-stemmed rose handed to you as, full of frittata and fresh fruit, you exit the restaurant into the May sunshine?  Well, buckle up, because it's Eggos and virtual violets for you, Madame Mama.

If you're anything like everyone else in the world, then you're keeping a tally of all the holidays and birthdays claimed by corona.  Today, of course, marks yet another fanfare-free celebration.  This Mother's Day, my family won't be sharing lunch followed by a Duncan Hines vanilla cake (white inside, not yellow) and presenting Mom with an array of Amazon Wish List-curated gifts.  Instead, I made my mom this card and dropped it in the mailbox (actually, I made the husband drop it in the mailbox, as I've yet to cross that hurdle).  I'd like to say that the look-what-I-made-for-you-in-school feel was intentional.  But the afterthought apostrophe and streaky colored pencil strokes happened all on their own.  The inside says, "Just a little produce from the person you produced."  Because I'm nothing if not Dad joke witty.

Later today, my sister and I are going to get on House Party with my parents.  I'll dress for the occasion; the least I can do is spare Mom the sight of my bedraggled, bathrobed self.  Also, it'll help prevent the old, "Aunt Tracy, your hair is a mess!" from my three-year-old nephew.  Actually, I don't mind that.  I miss the little tyke so much he could call me Carrot Top, and I'd say thank you.

Still, despite the whole holiday interrupted thing, there's an upside to time apart.  My mom and I are very close, and we talk on the phone every day.  But even so, in the old days, we were usually too busy to settle down to a proper chat.  One of us was always signing off to rush off to do something else, her to go to Zumba or yoga, me (like the premature geriatric I am) because "one of my shows" was coming on.  Now that we're both housebound, we have the luxury of talking as long as we want, and our conversations are deeper.  Well, at least they are when we're not focused on who scored chicken or bananas in the latest grocery order.  So, slowing down can be nice.       

This Mother's Day, I hope that you too find your own way to celebrate.  And that you're thankful for the little things. 

Like fresh produce in all of its forms.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

"Just a little produce from the person you produced." That is beyond clever - great job!! I really love your handmade card and I'm sure your mother appreciated it very much. :) That's a good thing about this quarantine is the extra time to indulge in things (like chatting on the phone!) I hope you and your family enjoyed the House Party virtual get-together!

Jewel Divas Style said...

It was mother's day here in Aus too. But then, I live with mine and our convos get nowhere near deep. Never have. Isn't it weird how isolation has made some people closer, while it's driven others apart?