Monday, May 25, 2020

Memorial Day the Quarantine Way


Normally on Memorial Day, the husband and I go to a BBQ at my parents' or sister's.  This year, my parents visited us here.  They stood in the driveway and we stayed on the porch, and we talked for about half an hour.  Then I put my mom's Mother's Day gift on the porch and went inside, and she and my dad put some food on the porch for us.  We waved goodbye from the window.  It was the first time we'd seen them since March.  Actually, it was the first time I'd seen anyone (other than the husband) since March.  And it was kind of strange.  But also nice.

Outfit-wise, I went for stripes and stripes instead of stars and stripes.  Or maybe I should say stripes and chevron.  I've never had a (non-formal) dress this long, mostly because I'm so short.  But I liked the pattern and colors so much that I decided to get it anyway.  Also, I finally painted my toenails!  Memorial Day might be different this year, but busting out my bunions (er, feet) still says summer. 

As does the lemon.  I made this Lottie Lemonade Necklace using a lemon slice charm that I ordered from Amazon.  It's semi-clear and takes on the color of its background like a thirst-quenching chameleon.       


Lottie Lemonade Necklace

So Happy Memorial Day.  May it be the start of a summer of sunshine, fruit-themed everything, and all-inclusive-resort-worthy beverages, whether you enjoy them at the beach or on some fancy yacht or incubated in your humble abode.  Because lemons can grow anytime, anywhere.  But it's up to us to make them sweeter.

Which is, yes, a drawn-out and syrupy way of saying the whole when life hands you lemons thing.  It's fun to play with clichés, isn't it?          

Now I'll leave you in peace so you can watch Cops and gnaw on leftover hot dogs.  

5 comments:

Samantha said...

I love your stripes-on-stripes look (the purse against the dress is so eye-catching)! The lemonade necklace gives it that summer feel; I love your message of "...lemons can grow anytime, anywhere. But it's up to us to make them sweeter." I'm glad you had a nice Memorial Day and managed to enjoy some family time!

Tanza Erlambang said...

you wear great outfit for memorial day.

happy memorial day for you and yours

Dressed With Soul said...

At least you saw finally your parents in live ... I know what you mean as I neither meet a lot of people during these times. But your dress is super fantastic and the necklace as well!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

Kinga K. said...

Cute necklace❤

Jewel Divas Style said...

The dress looked fine and at least you saw your parents. A lot of people aren't getting to.