Saturday, May 2, 2020

Throwing in the Trowel: Let's Say Happy May With Barrettes


Fabulous Felt Blue Leaf Barrette 

 Fabulous Felt Pink Leaf Barrette

Fabulous Felt Yellow Leaf Barrette 

Candy Gush Necklaces 

Top: IZ Buyer, Kohl's
Skirt: LC Lauren Conrad, Kohl's
Shoes: Guess, DSW
Bag: Xhilaration, Target

This era of limited paper goods has made me appreciate not just the practicality, but also the beauty of that unsung kitchen heroine -- the dishtowel.  Absorbent and so very homey, this timeless textile is always there for me.  So I decided to be there for it by using these striped Fiestaware fossils as backdrops for my new floral leaf barrettes. 


I say fossils because they're old.  In fact, it wasn't until I plumbed the depths of my dishtowel drawer that I rediscovered the yellow one.  My mom gave it to me as part of my bridal shower gift seven years ago, and I didn't want to use it because it was so lovely.  I really dig the contrast of the sunset-colored stripes against the, well, sunshine.  Probably because it reminds me of a tee shirt from the '70s.  Also, those disposable cups they used to give you at Roy Rogers and the movies.  Not that I was around during that decade.  But I just saw one on That '70s Show

As for the barrettes, they make me think of spring, and that makes me happy.  Even if I have no desire to grow real flowers.

I may have bonded with dishtowels.  But gardening and I will remain enemies.

4 comments:

Samantha said...

I'm loving your beautiful new barrettes!!! The flowers look so retro and I love how the bright yellow top makes the centers of the daisies on the skirt really pop! Your Candy Gush necklaces look as sweet as candy. :) The dishtowels are cool; they really do look like T-shirts from the 70's!

Dressed With Soul said...

Your new barrettes are really super lovely! And how wonderful you discovered the dishtowel your mother gifted as bridal shower gift to you! It looks wonderful!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

Tanza Erlambang said...

floral leaf barrettes look unique and beautiful.....love it

Jewel Divas Style said...

They make a great colourful background for pictures. I use white placemats with gold spots most times. Also, seven years is nothing. We still have tea towels, as we call them, from the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.