Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Hair Wear Flair: Knots Banding

Left to right: Ella & Elly, Zulily; So, Kohl's; Lady Arya, Zulily

If you were around in the '80s, then you know all about the super squad quad of nighttime soaps that included Dynasty, Falcon Crest, Dallas, and Knots Landing.  My parents were fans of all four, so their theme songs, along with the ones for Sesame Street and Mister Rogers, are firmly lodged in my mind.  To me, that music always meant drama, glamour, and, above all else, big shoulder pads and much bigger hair.  And what better way to tamp down or amp up a bitchin' bouffant than with a happenin' headband?

Ah, headbands, those timeless comrades of the cranium.  In the early '90s, I remember soft headwraps accented with knots as being a thing.  I had one in mustard that anchored my teased bangs during many a mall crawl and math class.  So when knot-topped hard headbands recently came into style, I thought, hey, I know you.  More sculptural than their pliable predecessors, these twisty finishing touches add the kind of oomph that can come from only a tiny yet towering turban.  I quickly acquired a trio (above), two striped and one rainbow metallic.  Wearing them makes me feel happy, nostalgic and trendsetting all at once.  

So the next time I'm watching The Undoing or A Million Little Things, I'll reminisce about how my love of stories and accessories started.

To paraphrase one of my favorite songs from the '80s:

"Ooh, baby, do you know what that's worth?  Ooh, Heaven is a place on earth."

You know.  If heaven were a hair doodad that didn't feel like it was squeezing your skull.  

8 comments:

Tanza Erlambang said...

I see...
fashions changed over time, but some of them recycling (re-appearing).... interesting.

# We faced snow storm in the south.
take care.

ellie said...

Cool! They look so adorable! Awesome Wednesday post!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, just what I need. Love this! Thanks for making me smile today!

R's Rue said...

I love it.

amthucvn2 said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful post keep your awesome work

Tối nay ăn gì
Ăn gì hôm nay
Hôm nay ăn gì

Roseann said...

Sweet headbands! Thanks for the trip down memory lane with all the damsels in distress and the matriarchs running amuck. I do remember those bitchin’ bouffants; that was worth one belly laugh for today. And for that I thank you.

Samantha said...

Those headbands are sooo pretty (my favorite is the metallic one!) They definitely have that nostalgic 80's/early 90's flair. My older sister had a lot of these and I always thought they looked cool! I'm sure you'll look fabulous in these!

Victòria | My thoughts on... said...

They look sooooo nice! I cut my bangs a few months ago and I have been using them since, waiting for them to grow back again hahah