Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Sweatshirt Alert: JCP on TV


Last Wednesday, I was watching American Housewife when Taylor (Meg Donnelly) entered the Otto kitchen wearing a retro gray, purple, and turquoise color block Arizona Jeans sweatshirt from JCPenney.  "Hey, that's my shirt!" I exclaimed.  The husband looked up from his phone dubiously.  "If you don't believe me, I'll show you!" I sputtered with all the righteous indignation of a third-grader in the '90s whose Yo! MTV Raps trading card collection is being called into question.  ("You don't have LL Cool J and Dr. Dre!"  "Do too!")  Then I raced upstairs to grab the sweatshirt.  When I returned, the husband nodded, then restarted the show, paused it, and took this pic without me even having to ask.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  The husband is a prince among men.

This isn't the first time I've seen one of my garments on the small screen.  The Middle's Sue Heck had a pair of my Target pajamas, and The Goldbergs' Erica wore my L'Amour by Nannette Lepore crop top, also from JCPenney.  I guess ABC likes JCP, that mecca for middle class shoppers, even when it's on life support.  Later during the Housewife episode, Greg (Diedrich Bader) took the thread a step further when chiding wife Katie (Katy Mixon) about one of her stunts:

"I had to take all those tops back to JCPenney and explain why there were no tags and why they smelled like deodorant."

It wasn't so long ago that Mixon was doing JCP commercials with Splitting Up Together's Jenna Fischer, then after that show got cancelled, Single Parents' Leighton Meester.  Then Parents was canned too.  Will Housewife, which has bounced around timeslots for years and was, this season, forced to recast spooky and snarky youngest child Anna-Kat (easily my favorite Otto), fare better than these sacked sitcoms and their preferred yet doomed department store?

Only time and ratings will tell.  In the meantime, I'm going to wear this sweatshirt like it's 1990-something.  And reminisce about my troll collection.

Because I never owned a single Yo! MTV Raps card.  That was the neighborhood kids and my sister.

5 comments:

Kinga K. said...

Nice sweatshirt ❤

Samantha said...

What a cool sweatshirt!!! I've always loved gray with a pop of color. That's so cool you spotted it on TV! And very sweet that your husband knew to snap a photo of the moment. Hopefully JCP will survive, along with your show! And I never heard of Yo! MTV Raps cards; I totally just Googled it. 😃

The Exclusive Beauty Diary said...

That sweatshirt look very cozy.

New Post - https://www.exclusivebeautydiary.com/2021/02/rouge-dior-couture-colour-999.html

ellie said...

So cool! I'd wear it today!

Love the part "reminisce about my troll collection."

Jewel Divas Style said...

I don't think I've ever seen any of my clothes on a tv show or ad, however, I have seen them on other women in the shopping centre, purely because we bought them from the same store. But when I wear my eBay stuff, everyone wants to know where I got it from. I just tell them eBay and silently think "good luck with that", knowing they'll probably never find it.