Saturday, July 31, 2021

Christmas in July, Insects Buzzing High: Bye-Bye to Bees and Bah Humbugs


For years, I've been wanting to do a Christmas in July post.  I guess all those commercials about  unseasonable Hallmark movie marathons and mattress sales got to me.  My hook?  Hanging some new necklaces from my, not Christmas, but still at-least-semantically-winter-themed snowball tree.  And today, on the very last day of the month, I thought, hey, no time like the present.  So I hauled my little stepstool, phone, and four necklaces out to the yard.  And discovered that my beautiful tree, which always looks so pristine from my kitchen window, was positively swarming with winged things, some of which were -- gulp -- bees.  Now, I'm all for suffering for my art, but even I have my limits.  In my thirty-nine years, I've never been stung by a bee, and I wasn't about to tempt fate today.  So I hightailed it back into the house and photographed my necklaces the way Santa intended, on nice, safe poster board sprinkled with mini pine trees. 

Tops, clockwise: Bongo, Sears; Self Esteem, JCPenney (two solids); ELLE, Kohl's

The necklaces themselves are not the least bit Christmassy.  But the Night Flight Necklace honors the insect theme with its twin dragonflies.  That's how I like my creepy crawlers, after all, inanimate and dripping with rhinestones.  

Night Flight Necklace

Star Bright, Star Stripe Necklace

Stay tuned for when Christmas really rolls around and I dig out my pre-lit palm tree for a beach day in December.  

7 comments:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

The white cone shaped hydrangea tree/bush is absolutely my favorite. Yours is in full bloom and gorgeous. Unfortunately, mine only has a few blossoms since my novice Gardner husband decides to trim them at the end of the spring and I think he stunts its growth. Too bad the bees chased you away from creating your Christmas in July, but everything looks so pretty inside too...

ellie said...

You are definitely trending! I hear this is the time to start buying those Christmas presents. Even bars are having Christmas parties at the moment..or so I've seen on the news. Yes, this ongoing pandemic really can mix it up. Lovely necklaces indeed and bees..such horrible things. I hope they have moved on. What an adventurous weekend you've had. Just stayed indoors here. Our air quality is at its worst due to wildfires on the Minnesota/Canadian border..and a cold front. If not that we've had a heatwave for the last couple of weeks.

Thanks so much for your comments! Finally, I'm getting around to Slater and Misty who's is kind of fun to write. Although, I like Jay and Slater's conversations better. I had watched this actress "Misty" in a Hong Kong drama and she was always in a bad mood and yet so needy. Of course, I have other little stories in the mix to this Ellie's August. Naturally, they probably unravel more than anything.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Yes, stay away from the bees! You are so creative! I hope all is going well with the Christmas Thoughts. One way to cool down or stop thinking about..well..I won't even go there.

I didn't mention in my last comment, but I never liked sports ever. Still, I have to be thankful to a coach who made us go through so much training before basketball. I think that kept me in a certain mind, later on, to get that exercise done, but I have always been slow and would skip lunch in order to get in laps and running up and down bleacher steps in high school.

You might have noticed I have a new "Hope". I was having the hardest times finding photos of the old Hope faceclaim. But she will remain the HOPE she has been. And I probably won't get back to Frankie's story in a few weeks..but he's still hanging around. In reality, this actor "Frankie" has not been in a drama since 2019. Thus the introduction of Cyrus and well, Cori problems and Rico shows up too.

Oh, birthing stories can be so interesting. And these days, it's amazing who all is there for these sorts of events. I had a friend who had wanted to birth in the bathtub, but thankfully last minute she didn't go with the midwife but with a doctor. Of course, I have one friend who doesn't trust doctors..only a midwife who she still sees even if she's in menopause.

Ivy's Closet said...

Hopefully, the last LockDown made sense. I have been having so many troubles even doing collages these days at that one site. Also, I notice the Reading List is not working on Blogger too. Hopefully, things are going smoothly for you and the bee situation has run its course. Such adorable necklaces! Love the butterflies/Dragonflies! & the stars too!

Thanks for your comments! As always! Actually, that one collage with Harry is from "Leo & Henry" And I always found those 2 characters good for each other, but of course..sometimes high school love doesn't last forever.

Samantha said...

Your new necklaces are gorgeous!!! I love the happy, candy colors of each of them; Night Flight Necklace is my favorite of the batch! They pair great with your blouses, and I love the Christmas in July theme you went with! Smart move to stay away from the bee-filled tree, however, it still made for some beautiful photos! I look forward to seeing the pre-lit palm tree for a beach day in December. 😃

Kathy Leonia said...

this necklace reminds me of the Arwenas' necklace:D she is the character from Lord of The ring :)

Jewel Divas Style said...

Ah, I do love a good palm tree at christmas, so I can't wait.