Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Pining for Pinterest: Love at First (Web) Site


I don't know about you, but I'm Pinterest obsessed.  Which you either already know because I've said so before or because you've visited my hoarder's haven of a corner on this popular social media platform.  So why am I so infatuated?  Because Pinterest is like your own personal cyber scavenger hunt, i.e., all the excitement without having to beat out anyone else to find that purple kazoo under the couch.  If squirreling away Pinterest pics is the retail-free answer to our hunter-gatherer instincts, then creating a Pinterest board is like being in a new relationship.  Everything's fun and easy, and you can't get enough.  You save images with all the abandon of a fool in love, on pins and needles for the next fab find to add to your burgeoning collection.  Each acquisition for Beachy Bathing Caps or Dramatic Doors (two totally real boards of mine) gives you the same rush as the ding of a text from your new one-and-only, the addition of every obscure vintage knickknack or garment as intoxicating as the first time your fingers brush his.  

But inevitably, time goes on and your board gets fuller.  Continuing to build it can become more tedious than exhilarating.   Even worse, you notice that some of the pins don't complement each other as well as they used to and that there are even -- gasp -- some duplicates.  So you edit and rearrange to make everything work, deleting the doppelgangers and looking for new stuff that brings you the same joy and satisfaction but in a slightly different way.  You know.  Kind of like when you and your better half bust out of your dinner-and-a-movie-date-night go-to to go bungee jumping.  Or maybe just to an Asian fusion restaurant and an indie film instead of a steakhouse and action flick.  But when you get home, you discover that there was a method to the madness of the repetition, that you kept choosing the same things -- and the same person -- over and over because those are the things that you love.  And sometimes realizing that is when the real commitment -- to a board or to a beau -- begins.  

So in the name of making old favorites feel like new, here are two new old pics to add to my ever-expanding Pinterest arsenal.  The custard cones from a long-ago summer will go on my Extra Accessories board, whereas the oft-posted cacti will find a home on Awesome Arts & Crafts.

If you're wondering just how many Pinterest boards I have, it's a little over two hundred.

What can I say?  I've got a big heart. 

8 comments:

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, it's hard to say NO to Pinterest! So much fun and of course learning to organize it all can sometimes be too much to do in a day. It's good to hear someone loves Pinterest as much as me. I always find things there so inspiring.

BTW a Chinese Opera can be unbearable to listen to. I find it quite funny.

ellie said...

As always thank you for your comments. It's been strange with the internet this week. So many things I can't get to ..like my Reading List on blogger.

Depression seems to be the keyword these days. Especially, at the Olympics. Mental Health has probably been more trending than actual awards these days. What a week it's been.

And my own personal goal..of giving up coffee. I have been slipping..just one small cup now.

Thank you so much for your comments! It's great to see your wonderful creativity too. Of course, I enjoy writing about Val, Matty and of course, Jools and Mick. It's good to let some stories unfold.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

So delightful! I love the post and I love Pinterest too!

As for writing about Frankie and the Sex Doll..I was quite fond of this Tawain drama I watched a few years back and one of the stories was that someone's daughter had ran away. So the main character was out searching for her. Some young girl in a wheelchair. He got help from everyone in the neighborhood. It was a bitter-sweet story. And of course, the old woman has dementia. Anyway, I was looking at this clothing site not so long ago and came across this model and thought ..no way could anyone have that kind of body. As I studied it..I kept wondering..could this site maybe use dolls for modeling. I know the story is far-fetched. and I kept channeling some African American character actress as Bea..so it kind of came naturally..maybe.

I am sure no one notices and some probably don't get the story anyway..But as it is the audience knows something the characters don't know. It is an interesting story to write.

Thanks so much for reading and of course I adore your comments!

Kinga K. said...

Looks stunning ❤

Kathy Leonia said...

wow 200 boards full of inspirations! That is quite a lot;D

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I love Pinterest.. but I've kind of forgotten about it and haven't been frequenting it the way I used to. Thanks for the reminder..Love your beautiful colorful dress..

Samantha said...

Your new old pics are soooooo eye-catching!!! That dress with the custard barrettes and necklaces are a dream! And the desert brooches are stunning little pieces of art. You totally drew me in with your romantic description of Pinterest, LOL!!! I enjoyed reading that, and you're totally right about the intoxicating world of Pinterest. I think my favorite line is: " Each acquisition for Beachy Bathing Caps or Dramatic Doors (two totally real boards of mine) gives you the same rush as the ding of a text from your new one-and-only, the addition of every obscure vintage knickknack or garment as intoxicating as the first time your fingers brush his." Aww!!

Jewel Divas Style said...

Pinterest is good for searching for vintage items if you can't find them anywhere else because everyone's pinning it themselves or re-pinning from someone else. So it's like it's own little Google. But I don't pin much other stuff these days. I just do my blog posts, and the odd pin from someone else. I don't really have the time to scroll through for a look. And they keep changing the layout and algorithm so it's harder to find stuff.