Friday, October 29, 2021

Fate Gate: Written in the Scars

In the midnight hour . . .

At the stroke of midnight . . .

Before midnight . . .

Pop culture is rife with allusions to what happens when night melts to morning.  Billy Idol, Cinderella, Ethan Hawke, and countless others have spun or starred in stories about the mythology of the witching hour.  So I knew that Matt Haig's novel, The Midnight Library, would be, if nothing else, mysterious.  Which is always nice around Halloween.  I heard about it on Ivy's Closet, and I don't take librarians' reading lists lightly.  Billy Idol, not so much.  Although I am a fan of '80s pop rock.  And comic relief.  

Anyway, The Midnight Library is the story of Nora Seed, a multi-talented but depressed thirty-five-year-old caught between life and death in the purgatory of a library -- the Midnight Library.  The librarian is Mrs. Elm, an elderly sage who was Nora's high school librarian.  Mrs. Elm supplies Nora with the Book of Regrets, a tome listing everything she ever wanted to be, including a rock star, an Olympic swimmer, and a philosophy scholar.  Nora picks a regret, then opens the corresponding book to live the life she thinks she missed out on.  Sometimes she stays minutes, other times days.  If it's the right life, then she'll end up staying forever.  But if it isn't, then she'll return to the library to try again.  So, yeah, it's the whole parallel-universe-space-time-continuum-butterfly-effect thing.  Which I could've better explained by saying that Nora works in a music shop called String Theory.  

Nora's journey is fascinating, scary, and sad.  But it's also perplexing.  Because as she test drives more and more destinies, she begins to realize that they're as similar as they are different -- and that she's unsure what it is that will make the right one "right."       

Innovative yet familiar, The Midnight Library elegantly combines the best-loved elements of It's a Wonderful Life, NBC freshman drama Ordinary Joe, and every Choose Your Own Adventure book to deliver a sci-fi-tinged, timeless tale of gratitude and self discovery.  Rich in symbols and nuance, it's also a modern parable about the importance of mental health.  When I reached the last page, I was so engrossed that I didn't want it to end.  Nevertheless, the ending was perfect.  I wouldn't go back in time and/or across universes to change a thing.  

Unlike Billy Idol, who, according to Behind the Music, was caught with the nanny on the baby monitor. 

9 comments:

ellie said...

What a beautiful review! I was wondering if you'd mention ORDINARY JOE..as of yet I have not watched it. But it does sound promising. The "butterfly effect" theme still seems to trending..but perhaps a lot wiser this time. It's so interesting that you mentioned "music shop" those kind of places are getting harder and harder to find these days, along with book shops.

The interesting thing is when you write about a "bad guy" then it starts to relate to other characters too. And their take on this person. Of course, when I initially when I wrote about Ivy and Jay and how they got together while she was with Brian who supposedly was Jay's best friend I felt it couldn't be perfect. Of course, it wasn't. Besides Jay is far from perfect. He'd done some things that were terribly cruel even if at that time Brian's sister (who was with Jay) had told her since she was smitten with him. So it was kind of like stepping into another world far from the hometown atmosphere but still right under our noses, yet I always feel we need second chances.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

This was so good. It's amazing how so many patrons can't wait to check out this book. Thanks for this review. Always glad to see the library is involved. At the moment our old director purchased a Heat Press for our Maker's space. Of course, we are hoping the funraisers will help us get the computers and software to help with this project along with the 3-D printer and embroidery machine and a few other things.

I finished Broker, a Leo Lou "Frankie" drama. He was great, but it was pretty horrible (bedroom scenes with no kissing, shower scenes with clothes on..I feel certain this all has to do with the Chinese censorship. I don't think a BL drama has come out of Tawain in the past 2 years) Although the ultimate storyline was completely sad, but having it being clouded with a stoic female lead, the cure for cancer and so many boring things, one wanted to drop this drama. Although, the OST is beautiful, and all along the story was about a boy that a mother handed over to someone hoping he'd have a better life, but just to be groomed to be a ruthless spy.

Anyway, I am glad Bea is still around even if she might make Roman's life miserable. Thanks so much for reading and your comments and always being inspiring.

Ivy's Closet said...

Thank you so much for linking me! I greatly appreciate it. Yes, this book might be one of the best this year and last. Or at least one, that everyone is curious about. Its always great to have a 'mental health' message tagged to it too. Definitely, a memorable book.

I am spiritobered out! Maybe I'm ready for November. Are you?

Maybe I will even make more dolls. There is something unique about the urban primitive doll. Also a good way to recycle and of course..so therapeutic to make. Most of the dolls I make I keep together. Also, some have no faces and I don't even intend to give them one. I have found older people like them more, maybe better than the young kids. I get a lot of inspiration from Japanese artist Grace Yen..actually mainly Pinterest.

Thank you so much for your comments.

Better Left Unsaid said...

Another awesome review! I am glad you review books and of course, TV shows too! Thanks for your special touch for accentuating the positive and of course, those kicker last lines!

Of course, I got a earful just yesterday about the family I base this story on. Naturally, it just fell into place. I couldn't help but smile. If only she had a Sal in her life...but I feel she'd take him for granted.

Thanks so much for being here. Thanks for being on "Jody's" side of the story , too.

Cherry Blossoms said...

Such a cool review. Oh, that Billy Idol! Love the reference!

I am posting a new installment tomorrow. Honestly, I didn't know it would go this way, and yet I'm glad it did. However, coming up with a collage isn't easy.

Someone at work asked if they could read this story. I sent her a link, yet I am pretty sure she will think it too strange to comprehend.

Królowa Karo said...

A very interesting and thought-provoking book. I'd love to read it.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

What a great review! This sounds really interesting, and like something I would enjoy reading. I do love reading book reviews. I’m going to add this book to my list of “wants.“ That list keeps getting longer and longer. Great post!

Samantha said...

What a COOL storyline!! I love this idea of "trying out" different life outcomes; it sounds extremely thought-provoking and probably makes one think about their own life and if there are any regrets lingering in the back of one's mind. Also, love the cover design! It does sound similar to "Ordinary Joe" - I've seen trailers for that one and it looks super interesting. Thanks for the review and enlightening me on what Billy Idol meant behind that particular song - YIKES!!!

Jewel Divas Style said...

Sounds like an author finally came up with an original idea for a novel, but it also sounds like it could be straight out of Doctor Who.