Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Tea Time Crime

Flower clips: Capelli, ULTA

It's been eleven years, but I finally found my way back to cozy mystery author Laura Childs.  In 2012, I got crafty with a book from Childs' New Orleans-set scrapbooking series called Frill Kill.  This time I moved on to a volume from her Charleston-based tea shop series entitled Haunted Hibiscus.  Yet the more things change, the more they stay the same.  Because in both books I was struck not by whodunit-related intrigue, but, surprise surprise, fanciful fashion:

"Racks of denim jackets, skirts, and slacks were jammed next to soft sea island cotton dresses and diaphanous beach cover-ups.  A circular rack had long ball gowns and filmy silk wraps to match.  Antique highboys spilled out offerings of jeweled belts, strappy sandals, hand-painted silk scarves, bangle bracelets, and beaded handbags." (223)   

This scene takes place at a "denim and diamonds" event in an upscale boutique.  Yet as much as it charmed me (and it charmed me a lot), I'd be remiss in not reporting that the piping hot cup of homicide that is Haunted Hibiscus heats up when an author is hanged in a haunted house.  It's a grim incident to say the least, so Childs' imagery of beautiful clothes, as well as that of heroine Theodosia Browning's picture-perfect Indigo Tea Shop, go a long way in dispelling the gloom.   

Much like, I suppose, a restorative cup of Earl Grey or Celestial Seasonings.

7 comments:

camdandusler said...

Thanks for your review:)

ellie said...

She is one mystery author I have not read yet. Nor have I gone to a tea shop in a very long time (which I miss) Wow, this one definitely has a lot going for it. Thanks for the wonderful review. And now I want tea! 🌈❤️πŸŒΈπŸ’•❤️🌈🌸Thanks so much for the comments. And of course, it's fun unraveling Boone and Oakley too while Phil is in need of friendship.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Such a beautiful scene. I would love to visit a place like that. How cool! Recently, we had the garden ladies luncheon (which I didn't attend but a friend did) This year the fashion show was from a local boutique instead of a fashion chain) And she said she through that made the fashion show more important since it was from locals who design clothes. Now I feel bad that I missed it.🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈Oh, thanks for your Tristan comments. Honestly, Dale is a name that I couldn't resist since someone in our family, his best friend's name was Dale in middle school, later he told us, "Oh, I'm seeing Dale now and we're moving in together." We thought he was moving in with Dale from middle school..hahaha..he had met a girl that he kept referring to as Dale.

Ivy's Closet said...

Loved your review. OH, it does sound like an intriguing one. Beautiful fashion too. Lovely cover, too. I have seen her books, I have a feeling we have a lot of them at our library. Thanks so much!🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️Oh, all this roleplaying is pushing me to the limit, add a mock Barbie doll quilt (aka bag for little pillows) and I might have to have my own personal vacay by Easter. Yes, its good to keep busy...thanks so much for your comments. All the best to a new month ahead.

Kinga K. said...

Looks like a nice scenery for a book :D

Samantha said...

Ahhhhh, those tea pastries on the cover look so good!!! What an intriguing-sounding read with fun fashion imagery to balance the murdery-whodunit gloom! I enjoyed the quote from the book; fashion makes everything more fun! ☕️πŸ›πŸ°

The Velvet Runway said...

Thanks for your review! I really want to read this - I love that it's set in Charleston!
Julia x
https://www.thevelvetrunway.com/