Sunday, March 5, 2023

Shannon Cannon

When I heard that Molly Shannon had written a memoir, I thought, oh, that'll be hilarious.  And it was, crammed with all the outlandish childhood and SNL anecdotes you'd expect.  But Hello, Molly! is so much more than a punchline.  It's ultimately Molly's story of her relationship with her dad.  Her mom and baby sister were killed in a car accident.  Four-year-old Molly and her older sister were also in the car, and their father was the one driving.  I'm going to pause to let that sink in for a moment because it's extraordinarily heavy. 

But -- and I cannot stress this enough -- Hello, Molly! isn't a downer.  It's the bittersweet, clean kind of sad that makes you appreciate life and remember that everything happens for a reason.  Like This is Us, plus comedy.  In other words, it has a good tone (and you know how much I value that).  Molly describes the highs and lows of life with her dad -- and her struggles to make it in showbiz -- with the straight-from-the-heart candor of a coming-of-age novelist.  She always sees the best in everything, even when audition doors are slammed in her face and her father acts more like a child.  Because it all really happened -- and made Molly the lovable, no-holds-barred performer we know today -- it's much more engaging than fiction.      

Of course, you can't talk about Molly Shannon without mentioning Mary Katherine Gallagher.  Or, as Shannon calls her, MKG (not to be confused with that other Irish icon, Machine Gun Kelly).  Shannon created the character while she was at NYU, almost a decade before she crashed into Studio 8H at SNL.  And it turns out that everyone's favorite painfully earnest, awkward Irish Catholic teen is based on Shannon herself.  Shannon joined SNL in 1995, so I remember the MKG years vividly.  And the sketch that stayed with me the most is the one where she's reenacting a scene from A House Without a Christmas Tree.  Not only is it cringeworthily funny, it's heartbreaking, showing Mary Katherine at her most vulnerable, reminding you that she's just a kid from a dysfunctional family who wants the world to love her.  After learning about her life, it rings even truer.  

Raw and sweet and hysterical, Hello, Molly! is an American tale (and no, not like when Fievel goes west; although, on second thought, maybe?).  It embodies timeless themes that readers hold dear: Midwestern girl makes good, optimism in the face of incredible odds, and an unorthodox but unbreakable father-daughter bond.  It's universal, its magic extending far beyond SNL.  At the end, I felt like hers was a life well lived (not that it's over yet!), brimming with love and adventure.  

No doubt about it, she's a Superstar.

6 comments:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I had no idea she had such a traumatic start to her life! Your review, as they often do call me, sent me to Amazon in search of this book. I look forward to reading it. Thanks!

ellie said...

So great to read your review. I have always enjoyed her SNL characters. Its great to know more about her. Yes, I had a feeling she'd been through a lot, but I wasn't sure just how much or what. I still enjoy seeing here in anything. She is a scene stealer, but that's OK!❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️Thanks for your comments, especially with Dan and Ivy. Hopefully, these are good changes. Many take their whole twenties trying to figure out what to do..and some even seem stranded a few decades later. Hopefully, all is not lost.

Ivy's Closet said...

She really is an icon of comedy. She can play so many things. Thanks for this review. I have noticed it at the library. I will definitely have to check it out now! She has made me laugh so many times.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Thanks for your comments. Oddly, I didn't even buy any of that author's books since we have them in our library. But I did buy one book. And it was fun talking to that author. Hope you are having a good March! All the best! Thanks so much for being hereπŸ€πŸ’šπŸŒˆπŸ€πŸŒˆπŸ’š

Caitlin&Megan said...

Oh, so bitter-sweet. This sounds like a real tear-jerker. She was the best on SNL! I loved many of her characters in movies too. Thanks so much for this review! I always find comedians' lives so interesting. Honestly, they are some of the best actors out there. Thanks again for this review(✿◡‿◡) Oh, it has been fun writing about Dora and Holden. Sort of like..oh the last two people you expect together. Of course, Holden is a little like some guys I have dated, especially when you had no idea how different they really were. And of course, there have been times I would ask myself, what was thinking?

Samantha said...

Wow, I had no idea about the tragic details of her family life!! That's especially heavy. I truly enjoyed reading about the backstory of her MKG character in your review, so thanks for including it! I absolutely loved that character as a kid, seeing it on SNL. I've always loved Molly Shannon in her film appearances, and it's great to hear she's also an inspiring person in real life, too! πŸ₯°πŸ’–

The Velvet Runway said...

Thanks for sharing your review and her backstory. I had no idea she had such a tragic start to her life. She is an amazing inspiration!
Julia x
https://www.thevelvetrunway.com/