Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Self Care Dare: Compendium of Compassion

I was so excited to read Matt Haig's The Comfort Book.  I loved his novel The Midnight Library (remember that, exploring the meaning of life through time travel and, of course, the library?), so when I heard that he'd written this nonfiction book, I was like, sign me up.  

Right off the bat, Haig tells us that there's no right way to read this book, gently and humorously letting us know that we're in a safe space.  The rest of the book is just as, well, comforting.  It's for anyone who's ever been stressed, depressed with a capital D, and/or overwhelmed.  So, all of us.  

This is one of my favorite parts:

"The sky isn't more beautiful if you have perfect skin.  Music doesn't sound more interesting if you have a six-pack.  Dogs aren't better companions if you're famous.  Pizza tastes good regardless of your job title.  The best of life exists beyond the things we are encouraged to crave." (51)

It's so simple, a reminder to appreciate life.  Because there's no rush and no one's keeping score (well, no one important, anyway) and our only job is to be.  To say "no" when we need to and relax and enjoy instead of relentlessly racking up achievements.  The Comfort Book is both soothing and joyful, a literary hug from a writer who's been there and knows what he's talking about.  

And outside a department store duvet display, it doesn't get much more comfy than that.

6 comments:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

This sounds right up my alley. I love books like this. From the excerpt you have provided I know I will love it. This is the kind of book I like to keep on my nightstand, to pick up and read just a bit before I go to bed every night.

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, it does sound like such a lovely book. So great to find such an inspiring book. I am definitely going to look for it!🌷❤️πŸŒΈπŸ’•πŸŒˆπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ€Meanwhile I have a cold sore to take care of. As I mentioned to someone..I swore it was a spiderbite. Maybe it's because I have had one since god knows win. It feels huge, although, I have had many co-workers say, 'oh, I didn't even notice it until you brought it up.' I guess sometimes, we just can't get in the comfort zone no matter what. However, I have been so smitten with 'michi' from the doll drama that I had to start another. He reminds me a little of Victoria Justice's Avan (although he is younger and Michi is older and seems to understand those little acting details). Thanks for your comments! Happy St. Paddy's day!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

So great that you found this book. Oh, it does sound like a winner. I think I would want it in my stash of books right next to my bed. You just never know when you need inspiration like that! Such a great reviewπŸ€πŸ’šπŸŒˆπŸ’šπŸ€πŸ’šπŸŒˆ I'm beginning to think it's easier to write than make doll clothes. Yet, I did get into some hot water with some RP thing I hope never to write again. It seems they needed players on "urstyle" so I wrote up a character and made a set. It even got featured on the set just to find out..it was all wrong for the Gossip Girl-like sorority. Evidently, of course, meanwhile, I have other stories to get to, like Tristan and Delia and a whole lot more. All the best to your week and your remarkable creativity!

ellie said...

OH, it gave me a feeling it could be Scandinavian..maybe it's his last name..=) I know I'm stretching my imagination now. Lovely color this book is too. I can just see myself hugging it from time to time. I so adore your review. Thanks so much. I will definitely be looking for this one! πŸŒˆπŸŒˆπŸŒˆπŸŒˆπŸŒˆπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€I guess we will be in search of a Reuben sandwich at Arby's. hahahaha..we aren't really into that other green stuff..but maybe a mint shake at lunch. Hope you have a great weekend. Thanks for your comments. Let's hope I don't forget about writing about Gage..although, I have caught myself mispelling Gabe's name at "Caitlin&Megan's".

Samantha said...

"The sky isn't more beautiful if you have perfect skin. Music doesn't sound more interesting if you have a six-pack. Dogs aren't better companions if you're famous. Pizza tastes good regardless of your job title. The best of life exists beyond the things we are encouraged to crave." Wow, that's an amazing quote!!! It's good to be reminded to simply appreciate life, and to "relax and enjoy instead of relentlessly racking up achievements." What an inspiring book, and I love the cover! ✨πŸ’™πŸ’›πŸ’–

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

This is the kind of book that I never tire of reading. It is such a great reminder to appreciate all the wonderful things in life. Thanks for the great review . It makes me want to download it right now and read it. Thanks.