Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Bad Guys and the Guise of Surprise: Staying Ahead of the Hat Game


If there's one thing I always say, then it's this: you can never have too many books or too many hats.  Or too many books about hats.  Yes, once again I'm chattering about my chapeau collection in the same breath as Jenn McKinlay's Hat Shop Mysteries.  Although I suppose the books will soon come to an end, as I have only two left in the series. 

Thankfully, Assault and Beret was a particularly fun one, with cousins Scarlett and Vivian swapping their home base of London for Paris.  The cause of their, ahem, wild hair?  Viv's teaching a hat-making class while Scarlett susses out a man from Viv's past.  (Try saying that five times fast.)  Intrigue -- and elegance -- abound.

I like to think that the same is true of my hat display.  Nestled among the fascinators is a new topper: the bow-bedecked, straw, LC Lauren Conrad cloche:       

Although it's quieter than its rainbow-plumed sisters, there's something simply sweet about it.  I can see myself wearing it with a long, flowy dress and carrying flowers.  Or maybe a nightstick.

You know.  Whatever brings out the bow.

6 comments:

camdandusler said...

Thanks for your sharing...

Ivy's Closet said...

What a great last line 🫠 Oh..a story in Paris..how fun and so intriguing! Thanks for the review. It does sound like a wonderful summer read! & a great way to beat the heat..stay inside where it's cool and read! Some lovely hats too!πŸ’–πŸŒˆπŸŒΈπŸ’—πŸ’•πŸŒΈπŸŒˆπŸ’–I guess the oddest scene here in our little burb is what's going on in front of the Abortion Clinic (Citizen Ruth by Alexander Payne was made there) Of course, there is always the religious group with heads bowed praying and few disgusting posters about..and now with Pride month with have a jovial group in their rainbow attire waving at everyone, dancing about. Thankfully, its just a Saturday morning thing. Otherwise, it would be exhausting for everyone in our high humidity.

ellie said...

Oh, sad to know the series might be coming to an end. Maybe someone will come around and continue it or you will find one just as much fun. Such lovely fun hats. Lets see, I have way too many crocheted slouchy hats and oh..a bucket of bucket hats and a couple of base ball caps. I think my favorite baseball cap is best hanging on the wall near where I like to write. MAIN CHARACTER is written on it. It looks better on the wall than on my head.πŸ’–πŸŒˆπŸ’–πŸ’–πŸŒˆπŸŒˆπŸŒˆπŸŒˆπŸŒˆπŸŒˆπŸŒˆI hope you are having a good week. Loved your review! Yes, I need to go to the big mystery shelf now at the library! The College World series is starting (which I never go) and of course, Father's day too. Although, I am afraid I neglected any Father's Day post while writing.

Caitlin&Megan said...

Oh, such a fun mystery cozy. I am glad you enjoyed it. And to be friends like that. Such wonderful friendships to read about too. I love your collection of hats too. Here's to wearing them with much happiness in the sun!πŸŒˆπŸ’™πŸ§‘πŸ§πŸ’–πŸŒΈπŸ§πŸ’–πŸ’™πŸŒˆ Thanks for your comments! Yes, it took some doing with Nic and Mona. I did feel they were stuck in a rut. And now to put her in the middle of Tristan and Delia..and the apartment. Of course, when I started this story I never knew how much character the apartment would have. Initially, I would hear from a friend in Germany talk about living with different flatmates over the year. Of course, she didn't last that long at that Uni either..she ended up moving back home. Thanks so much for your comments! And some how, family situations show up when least expected.

Samantha said...

Love your bow cloche and fabulous fascinators!!! The book sounds like a fun, quirky mystery read (can't go wrong with Paris as the setting!) and I'm enamored by the book cover! I love how they meshed the Union Jack with the Parisian cityscape. πŸ’—πŸ’—

Jewel Divas Style said...

I was a beret wearer at one stage. Same with straw hats, caps, and newsboy/page caps. Still have them, but not much of a wearer now.