Thursday, June 8, 2023

SySTEMically Sweet: Love Sick Schtick


Dr. Bee Konigswasser's not your average romcom heroine.  A purple-haired, pierced, and tattooed neuroscientist who runs an anonymous Twitter account called What Would Marie (Curie) Do?, she gets freaked out by spiders and stress and passes out at the drop of a hat.  Now, as someone who's fainted a time or two, I couldn't help but wonder how she made it through all those tattoos and piercings.  Because the mere thought of needles has me reaching for my smelling salts.  Then again, Bee is a conundrum of contradictions.  And that's part of what makes Ali Hazelwood's Love on the Brain so much fun to read.

Much like its predecessor, The Love Hypothesis, Love on the Brain is an enemies-to-lovers love story that's also about being a woman in male-dominated STEM.  So when seemingly surly engineer Levi Ward turns out to be Bee's ally in co-leading a high-profile project at NASA, it's more than the setup for an office romance.  It's an "I see you" moment for women, a kind of reimagining of the mutual respect and, okay, (alleged) lust that combusted between Marie and Pierre.  And that's the kind of devotion that Bee's looking for.  She's been orphaned, cheated on, and betrayed, all traumas that feed her need for true love -- but also her fear of it.

Hazelwood tackles loss, misogyny, and even standardized testing (I'm looking at you, GREs) with wit and levity, making Love on the Brain a dopamine fix with depth.  Also, there's a character who carries a watermelon-shaped purse.  So Hazelwood's next novel, Love, Theoretically, which comes out next week, is on my TBR list.   

Because I love love -- especially when it shares the spotlight with feminism and fashion.

4 comments:

ellie said...

Oh, she's one of those on my summer reading list. Thanks for the wonderful and fun review! So many of her books I want to read. It is funny that you mentioned FAINT. I found out from a new co-worker if she stands too long she will faint. So she's always on a stool at circ. πŸŒˆπŸ’—πŸ§‘πŸ’™Thanks so much for your comments..oh, that Remi is getting around. Maybe Maisy will warm up to her yet..(✿◡‿◡) & maybe Rafe has found a fan he can be with.... I hope you are getting inspired this summer with your new creations. All the best to a beautiful June!

Ivy's Closet said...

This does sound like a fun one. She always makes me laugh. And I just love these bookcovers too! Yes, she is one you want to take with you where ever you go this summer....Hope you are staying well..and no orange dust there..with all the fires happening in Canada. At least we have had a little rain. All the best to lots of fun this summerπŸ’™πŸ§‘πŸ’™πŸ§πŸ§‘πŸ’™

Caitlin&Megan said...

Oh, this looks like such a fun summer read! Yes, I always have to look at her books when I'm out and about near books. I should start from the first book I guess. Such an awesome review!πŸŒΈπŸ’™πŸ§‘πŸ§πŸ’—πŸŒˆ Oh, thank you so much for your comments..hopefully, you won't be too upset with me (but I think you know what's gonna happen) ..where things go this June at Cait & Megs, and I just might be having too much fun with Tristan...hahahaa.. Thanks so much for being here! Thanks for your inspiration and so much more!

Samantha said...

This book sounds like a lot of fun, contradictions and all!! I adore that the heroine of the book has purple hair, piercings and tattoos - and is a neuroscientist, at that! (Also, the book cover is adorable!) It's always fun to anticipate an upcoming novel you're looking forward to reading, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the next one, too! πŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ’–