Wednesday, June 21, 2023

A Book Review and a New Necklace Too: Celebrating Summer in Style

Top: Wild Fable, Target; Skirt: So, Kohl's

Shoes: LC Lauren Conrad, Kohl's


Bag: Gifted

Top and Skirt: Nine West, Kohl's


Shoes: ALDO, Macy's

Bag: Amazon

It's June 21, and you know what that means: tropical fits and summer reading lists.  And I don't mean Tolstoy, Shakespeare, and Hemingway (unless you're into depressing stuff by dead guys).  I mean light-hearted love stories by ladies like Elin Hilderbrand.  I marked the first unofficial day of summer with her Endless Summer, so it's only fitting to commemorate the first official day with her The Hotel Nantucket.  And it might just be her beachiest -- and most hopeful -- book yet.


Everyone at the newly remodeled, possibly haunted, and incredibly luxe Hotel Nantucket is looking for something, be it love, redemption, fame, or revenge.  Reading about it is half the fun.  The other half is Hilderbrand's lush writing, especially when it comes to her characters.  She tells the tale of a sweet but steely Minnesota transplant as convincingly as she voices a prep school prince, a glam grifter, and an eager-to-please ingenue as well as a colorful cast of others.  Disappearing into her stories is like, well, taking a vacation.  Minus the bill and the sunburn.

Of course, making jewelry is a little like taking a vacation too.  Which is how I ended up with this Parrot Paradise Necklace:


In addition to parrots, it's got flowers and even an anchor.  Also, it's big.  Really big.  Maybe a little too big.  That's why I decided not to list it.  Something tells me that I may be the only one to appreciate the way it takes up the entire front of a shirt, like a Hawaiian breastplate or an aggressively festive reverse dickey.  

It's just you and me against the world, Parrot Paradise Necklace -- offering up one awkward aloha at a time. 😏🌺

6 comments:

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, the necklace has such beautiful details! I like the flowers too. Such great summer outfits, from the cacti bag to those amazing heels! & More! Lots of great colors! Thanks for your summer reading review too! Looks like a fun one!πŸ’–πŸ’•πŸ’—πŸŒΈπŸ§ Thanks for your comments! Oh, Tristan may have Mona Madness to deal with all summer (✿◡‿◡) It has been fun changing it up and hopefully, Nic will find some fun too. Plus I do try to wedge in the rest too.

ellie said...

This author seems to be on a lot of people's list! Oh, to take a vacation there...yes, always great to read about those places..and the characters too. Such lovely colors on your summer pallette. Love the necklaceπŸ§πŸŒΈπŸ’—πŸ’–. So great to see what your imagination can create. πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™I am about ready to give up on my Barbie outfits although, I dream about making outfits at night. I did try a fabric glue, but evidently you have to have a lot of finger talent to do it. Maybe I should just keep writing and not get too crazy with this new obsession.πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–Although, some of my hardest stories to write might be about Yuki, too. Great to see your summer is going beautifully!

Ivy's Closet said...

So wonderful to see your summer outfits! Wonderful to see those parrots and flowers paired together so well too! Lovely edition indeed! πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–Nantucket must be the place to be. So great to see your review. Yes, the longest day happened, but I am sure I didn't enjoy it as well as I could have. It has gotten hot here, and I just want to be indoors! Maybe have some hotdogs in the airfryer (✿◡‿◡)^_~πŸ’—. I have already made my trip to Target and got my milkshake at my favorite ice cream place. Meanwhile, the Summer Reading Program is busy. And its great to see so many families take advantage of it. Happy June! July will be here before you know itπŸŽ†

Samantha said...

What a way to celebrate the start of summer!!! Your outfits are so sunny and cute - as well as your accessories! The cactus purse compliments that striking black floral top so well, and matches the shoes! And, what a way to kickoff summer with a good beach read. The book definitely sounds like a vacation, and your necklace is definitely paradise! The parrots and anchor are adorable. "--offering up one awkward aloha at a time. 😏🌺" Love that line!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

For me it is summer most of the year. We do experience a tiny bit of fall and then a tiny bit of spring when we return from Florida in June and leave end of September. That doesn't mean I would not enjoy some light summer reading. Your review sufficiently gpt me interested in Endless Summer especially since it takes place in Nantucket. The colors and the style of the top and skirt from Nine West really call out to me! Love it.And of course all your shoes are fabulous. Their was a time that I loved large necklaces. Would I wear it now? Not sure.It is so nice that you have the talent and outlet to make jewelry. Glad you enjoy making it and wearing it.

Jewel Divas Style said...

Necklaces, and jewellery in general, can NEVER be too big.