Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Catch as Cat Can: Wild and Crazy Buys

It's no secret that I love bargains and cute crime fiction.  So scoring a cozy mystery called Death of a Coupon Clipper was a real treat.  Not only is this Lee Hollis paperback a thrifty $7.99, but it takes a tongue and cheek look at just how far some people will go to save a buck.

Take heroine Hayley Powell.  The Maine winter has not been kind to this talented but underpaid food and cocktails columnist and single mother.  In the space of one snowy day, she loses her roof, her car, and her furnace.  She's so desperate for cash that she calls her mom to ask for a loan, a decision she instantly regrets.  But then she overhears a couple of nurses say that the reality competition show Wild and Crazy Couponing is coming to Bar Harbor.  Hayley immediately throws her ski cap into the onion ring.  And then, miracle of miracles, she's chosen!  It'll be her and no-nonsense nurse Candace Culpepper facing off in the Shop n' Save for all the world to see.  At least it will be until Candace is stabbed to death with her very own coupon-cutting scissors.  Hayley's bestie Mona is selected to fill the suddenly empty spot -- and leaps to the top of the suspect list.  In an effort to clear her, Hayley launches her own investigation.  Between sleuthing, cat-sitting for an obese bully of a blue Persian, and keeping up with her column, Hayley's schedule is enough to exhaust even the most on-the-go go-getter.  Plus, thanks to her totaled car, she's forced to walk everywhere in the cold.  So much for small towns -- and their murders -- being cozy!  

And yet, that's exactly what Death of a Coupon Clipper is.  Encased in the cocoon of its comforting bubble, you can't help but feel that life is good, everything will work out, and a tasty treat is just a craving away.

Not that that nefarious feline fits in with such warm and fuzzy feels.  

Hayley should've schlepped him to the shelter when she had the chance.

4 comments:

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, but it is cat appreciation month, you know..(✿◡‿◡) It does sound like an awesome cozy. Maybe that's just what I need! Oh, the booksale has been not all that. Although, I got to see Paulie who smacked his gum (I was safe behind the glassed in counter) and told me the same old story. I really think the old Hockey coach has a thing for him, but apparently, Paulie doesn't know that, even if he is going to San Francisco with him this week. Yes, I didn't get Free Pie with him at Village Inn after all..but we are all caught up and he bought a few DVDs at the booksale. ^_~ Thanks so much for your comment. I have been talking up the thriller and it does have several HOLDS on it now at our library. I hope you have found a few more thrifty cosies for your shelf. All the best to your reading list! And don't forget a apple cider donut! I did try Dunkin's pumpkin donut..surprisingly, it was not too sweet. It was much better than I thought it would be.

ellie said...

Oh, I'm certain that cat is a character! It looks like the main character is juggling a lot. And to investigate your friends for murder! Truly, Hollis knows how to create a supporting cast. Such a fun review! Thanks for giving me a smileπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸ‚πŸ‚πŸ‚πŸπŸπŸπŸπŸπŸ’πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Boone and Lily..well, it felt like an opportunity. Of course, I have been thinking to why was Boone beind so mean to Lily. Was letting his feelings slip of how he's hurt how his own mother feels about him? Or that guy gusto of keeping it together and not giving in? Probably a little of both. And then Dory who might be too oblivious for his own good. Oh Cedric. I think he might be one of my favorite characters. Thanks for reading & Thanks for your comments!

Caitlin&Megan said...

I'm so glad you found this cozy! Awesome to find treasures like this. I am sure you will be reading more from this author. That cat sounds very real, too. As somebody once told me a Happy Cat is a Fat Cat! Thanks so much for your review!πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ§πŸ§πŸ§πŸ§πŸ§πŸ§πŸ§πŸ§πŸ§πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™ I guess Tristan will be put to the test..and hopefully, I won't forget about Magz. After all there is a wedding and a few other things going on. Friday I went to the zoo, so it was fun walking around thinking about what Tristan would be doing at the zoo. I mean, he's more than a volunteer. I got a lot of walking in. I guess if you work there, there would be a lot of walking. Thanks so much for being here. Thanks for reading and thank you for your comments. I have to say it has been fun writing lately! Especially, about character I want to know too.

Samantha said...

What a fun and zany plotline!!! 😸 The cover is adorable, and gives a glance at the "nefarious feline" you mentioned in your review. Just the title alone, "Death of a Coupon Clipper", sounds like the reader is in for a real treat - "just a craving away"! πŸ›’✂