Wednesday, September 27, 2023

New Lease Release: The Old Apartment

When I heard that Ashley Poston of The Dead Romantics fame had another book out, I was excited, albeit cautiously.  Because there was no way that The Seven Year Slip could be half as good as its predecessor.  But as I began reading, I knew I was wrong.  I was transfixed.

Clementine West is heartbroken after the death of her beloved, eccentric Aunt Analea.  The two used to travel the world, collecting passport stamps like stickers and embarking on endless adventures.  It was on these trips that Clementine fell in love with painting, illustrating the margins of her guidebooks with dreamy watercolors.  Now nearly thirty, Clementine has inherited her aunt's New York City apartment, a bittersweet gift steeped in pain and memories.  Things become even more complicated when an aspiring chef shows up, claiming that Analea sublet the apartment to him.  Iwan is charismatic and handsome and completely bewitched by food.  He has tattoos of herbs and a whisk and bakes Clementine the best lemon pie she's ever tasted.  Despite the walls she's put up, Clementine finds herself falling.  But resisting Iwan's charms is just the tip of the iceberg lettuce.  Because Iwan is from seven years in the past, back when Analea was alive.

With wry humor and beautiful imagery, Poston takes us on the journey of Clementine's heart.  Time shifts and bends as in any space-time continuum story and that, in and of itself, is fascinating.  But it's Clementine's relationships with her aunt, Iwan, and, ultimately, herself, that propel this hauntingly lovely novel.

And that's what makes it so magical. 

5 comments:

ellie said...

Such a great premise! Sounds like it has a lot of feels and fun to in this one. Thanks for the review. I know I have seen it. I just wasn't sure what it was about. ❤️😽💕😽🍁 Thanks for your comment! Oh, I'm sure it was a bit of a shocker. It is always interesting how some people can bring up subjects. Possibly, I am one of them..hahahaha.. Anyway..one more way for Chili to set the record straight. Although, I feel Em probably has more obstacles than she knows, sometimes. So you can learn a little about each other when you dip into these sort of talks. Of course, I feel it moments like this where you find friends that are family to you. But it might be a touchy topic for some to read, too. All the best to your last weekend in September!

Caitlin&Megan said...

What a wonderful name for the main character. Wow, to have an apartment in NYC too! Oh, sounds like the Art Life with lots to deal from the past too. So glad to see your review. Sounds like a great read anytime!🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁
Thanks for reading. I feel Delia is possibly at a milestone she didn't see coming. Of course, we have to look back. Although, we can scare ourselves that way. It's best to keep going. I am not sure I did very well balancing Bren's wedding and of course, other things happening too..but October brings new things too! Thanks again for being here! Being so inspiring! All the best to your blogging and creative adventures!

Ivy's Closet said...

This author certainly has a way with some of the best character names! Such an amazing setting too. It does sound as if its full of lessons to be learned! With life and love! Thanks so much for this fantastic review. I really want to read it now!🍁😽💕❤️💕😽🍁 Thanks for your comments! Yes, I want Rachel & Huck to find their way and it will be interesting to see how things go when she brings him home..(this was always fun to hear from my friend who would of course, bring her boyfriend home to NYC for the summer!) In other news, still I have plenty of socks I have not made Barbie sweaters out of. I gotta get on that..somehow. Although, I feel it's much safer for me to be writing. Of course, I'm sure there are a few who would beg to differ. All the best to your Autumn creativity!

Samantha said...

The concept of a space-time continuum story is pretty fascinating, and this book sounds as such!! Also, I totally adore that you wrote "the tip of the iceberg lettuce". You have such a way with words! 😎✨

Jewel Divas Style said...

I read The Dead Romantics after seeing it here. It was an interesting story, a little drawn out in places, but hopefully this one is better as I just reserved it at my library.