Saturday, September 23, 2023

When Life's Got You Stressed, Grandmother Knows Best


When Londoner Leena Cotton has a panic attack that causes her to bungle a big work presentation, HR mandates that she take two months vacation.  Meanwhile, her seventy-nine-year-old grandmother Eileen, who lives in Yorkshire, is coming to grips with her husband deserting her for a dance instructor.  What are two such stressed souls to do?  Why, swap houses for two months, of course!  At least that's what happens in Beth O'Leary's The Switch, my most recent book club pick.  

The city mouse/country mouse trope always tugs at my heartstrings, pitting the glamour and excitement of urban life against quieter, pastoral pleasures.  It's a premise more complicated than it seems, as both settings represent what the characters want -- and don't want -- out of life.  This is certainly the case in The Switch.  Because in addition to dealing with their individual dramas, Leena and Eileen are still grieving the loss of their sister and granddaughter Carla.  So to distract themselves -- and also give back -- they set out to improve the lives of their new neighbors.  For Leena, this means chairing the Neighborhood Watch, a group of (mostly) young-at-heart oldsters more concerned with socializing than fighting crime.  Of course, there's one twenty-something member, a strapping single father and teacher who's miles nicer than Leena's sod of a boyfriend.  As for Eileen, meeting a fascinating but lonely elderly woman in Leena's apartment motivates her to organize a seniors group.  But Eileen's not all altruism all the time.  Her London adventure, as she's come to call it, includes online dating, an experiment that nets her a situationship with, among others, a silver fox actor.

Leena's and Eileen's struggles are sometimes funny and sometimes sad, but always relatable.  I could identify with their fish-out-of-water feelings and found Eileen especially delightful.  Her determination and wisdom are at the heart of this feel-good story.  Plus, she really rocks culottes.  When I'm eighty, I can only hope to be half as brave.  Indeed, both Eileen's and Leena's journeys show that sometimes a change of scenery can change so much more. 

So the next time someone asks you to housesit, don't be so quick to come up with an excuse.  

At least not until you've scoped out the neighbors.

5 comments:

ellie said...

This does look like a fun one! How sweet! & always interesting to see how the other half lives with much much more to learn about life. Thanks for doing this review!🍂🍵🍂🧁🍂🍵🍂 Thanks for your comments too. Yes, I'm glad Boone has Alfie to talk to. I really think it's hard for brothers to talk. And to find each other now, well that might be why they can talk. Hopefully, they are both growing. Of course, Rafe might need more than just his brother to talk to. Thanks again for being here. And yes that freedom to speak. Thanks for your message, too!

Caitlin&Megan said...

Such a fun read! I will definitely look for it. Sounds like a very enlightening fiction, too. So good to know about this one. Thanks for the wonderful review. Such interesting characters. I am sure this would give me lots of smiles!🍂🍁🍂🍁🍂🍁🍂🍁🍂🍁🍂🍁🍂 Thanks for your comments. As always, people like to see what they want to see. And maybe Trish is too hard on herself. But she could be right too. Maybe Tristan is trying to be a better brother too. I think so. And hopefully, Liv will find her way too. Thank you for inspiring! All the best to your Autumn creativity! & then some!

Ivy's Closet said...

I have seen some of her books, but I haven't read any. Now I just have to! Thanks to you! This does sound like such a fun read on many levels. And insightful too. Thanks for posting this review! I LOVE IT! Of course, my friend from PA wants me to read How to sell your Haunted House. Yeah, I doubt I read that one. 🍂🍂🍂🍂🍂🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁 Thanks so much for reading. I wasn't going to post anymore of the Oliver and Bex story, but then someone wanted to read more of it. I left out a good chunk of Bex's relationship with who she's with. Of course, there are other relationships I'd rather write about. So at least I have another installment of Rachel and Huck..and a little cat story too. Oh, and I have found more skelton socks too. It seems the Corpse Bride is all the rage in graphic tees this Autumn too. All the best to having a great week accomplishing many things! Spooktober awaits!

Samantha said...

This book sounds so good!!! I love the concept of house-swapping, as it introduces each person to a new environment shake-up. Also, the line "...the Neighborhood Watch, a group of (mostly) young-at-heart oldsters more concerned with socializing than fighting crime" made me smile. Sounds like a really sweet and fun read - great book club pick! 📚🎀

ellie said...

Hope you guys aren't in any flooding. Hope all is well there with the power and all. I hear you all had a lot of rain. Hoping you guys are saying safe.