Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Lake Remake: One to Play on Repeat


Carley Fortune's Every Summer After seemed like the perfect book to finish the day after the last day of summer.  It's Fortune's first novel and a lot like her second, Meet Me at the Lake.  It's also a lot like The Summer I Turned Pretty (at least it's like the Amazon Prime adaptation, as I haven't read Jenny Han's trilogy).  But that's okay.  More than okay.  Because as Every Summer After's Persephone says, "I liked how each book was both predictable and unique, comforting and unexpected.  Safe but never boring." (10)  Although scream queen Percy is talking about horror instead of romance (apparently, she finds bloodshed soothing), I get what she means.  Readers choose genres for a reason, and it's not to be surprised.

That said, Every Summer After is another Canadian story about angst-ridden, lovesick teens who weather a decade apart due to a misunderstanding.  Also, there's a lake.

It's lovely.

6 comments:

Samantha said...

That quote says it all, and readers really do choose genres for a reason!! What we read says a lot, and the familiarity of book genres are indeed comforting - and never a bore! I remember your review of Meet Me at the Lake, and this sounds like another good one! What a pleasant way to celebrate the last day of summer. 💙

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, a lake story! Yes, that is an exciting location for things to happen. Bring in summer and they can be one-of-a-kind memories. This is one I have on my list. I dunno when I will get to it.💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙 Thanks for your comments. I do like dabbling in this premise. Although, I wasn't sure where I was going with my lake story. I had seen somewhere online about "Grandpa Names for Girls" So that's where someone's name came from. Also, I had been listening to some lady tell me about her son who was now a coach, only it wasn't the job he thought he would have, but he was learning to enjoy being the girls' wrestling coach and of course, a song from Aly and AJ inspired me too.

ellie said...

Oh, I'm so glad you enjoy her work! She really knows how to bring out the best and yet personal situations too. Perhaps the highs and lows of growing up...and more! 🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁 Thanks for your comments. I think in friendships a lot of times we are baffled by the other person sometimes. We might think we know everything and then usually, it's our own fault. Still, I feel Oakley is pretty much oblivious to Lexi's plan and worry. Although, Oakley might think of Lexi more as a friend than she even knows. Of course, I think Lexi needs friends.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

So great to see your review. I had planned on reading this one, but didn't have the time. I did like what bit I did get to....it really is like going on a mini vacation with characters you would like to meet.🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁 I will confess this has not been my restful week. Ugh, we had such horrible air quality yesterday. People were bringing out their inhalers they hadn't used in years. I possibly drank too much caffeine yesterday and was awake all night. Hopefully, I will stay away from the tea today, but even my throat was yucky and so I just kept going with more hot tea. Also, I thought I was drinking caffeine-free tea too. I hear you guys have been in a heat wave too. All the best to staying indoors and your weekends will be full of Autumn activities.

🍏🍏🍎🍎🍏🍏🍎🍎 Oh, Holden..well...sometimes, he's quite typical.

Kinga K. said...

A nice book for summer :D

Maria said...

Also there's a lake - lol! This book sounds good :)

https://www.chicnpink.com/