Friday, October 20, 2023

Peter Peter, Pumpkin Cheater

I know, I know, two book posts in a row.  But it turns out that sometimes -- okay, all the time -- I read faster than I photograph.  So Lee Hollis's Death of a Pumpkin Carver it is, in all its non-gory glory.

When Hayley Powell's good-for-nothing, too-good-looking-for-his-own-good ex-husband Danny blows back into Bar Harbor, she braces herself.  He says he's changed, but she knows otherwise, especially after she finds him partying with his moonshine-mongering Uncle Otis.  But then Uncle Otis turns up dead in a cemetery, and the cops suspect Danny of doing the deed to nab the forty grand that Otis stashed in his mattress.  Hayley finds herself in the unfortunate position of trying to clear her ex's name, an adventure that involves an aspiring horror novelist, an actual horror novelist, and yet another of Hayley's exes, a mild-mannered veterinarian who also happens to be her daughter's boss.  As if all of this isn't zany enough, Hayley discovers that Danny has a crazy ex of his own.  Now, if only she can catch the killer before her jack-o-lantern light is snuffed out for good.

If your idea of a good time is comic crime, then look no further than Death of a Pumpkin Carver.  It may be just the festive fracas you need once the candy runs out.         

7 comments:

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, I love the cover! What a great premise. Perfect for Halloween! Love this so much! I love your last line too!💕💕💕💕🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁 We survived the pumpkin patch! It was crazy busy. I can't imagine lugging the little ones all the way there and back. I dunno..everywhere I looked I would thinking..that's not safe. Of course, I stumbled over a few places myself and was glad I didn't fall on my face. If that wasn't enough..getting in and out of the parking zone was quite a feat. Yes, I was happy to be home, but it was fun and I got to try bacon-wrapped water chestnuts. Yes, there was lots of party food and Cake!

ellie said...

This one looks to be very interesting. What a fun October read! Hope you guys enjoy your outing. Yes, we have had warm days but chilly night. Definitely sweater weather..but it's hard to judge, sometimes. I am hearing we might have snow by next weekend..but I doubt it. Hope you guys are doing well. Ugh, so much to do with a trip. Doing my best to keep busy!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

What a great storyline!This must have been one to savor! 🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃 Thanks so much for your comments! Oh, I did my best to give the Liv storyline a lot of thought. Although, Nic has been alone a good portion of his life, I think he yearns most of wanting a family or being a part of the family. Ye, Liv has her reasons of being away from her own. Thanks for inspiring me with all your fabrics in my sets too. Thanks for being here!

Samantha said...

What a fun and festive read!!! Of course, I adore the cover illustration and all of its cuteness - and the plot sounds complex and intriguing! What a delightful way to indulge in the Halloween spirit. 🎃✨

ellie said...

Off to Texas. Hope we can figure out the rental jeep.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

It all sounds so intriguing when you review the books, but I know that I'm not a real fan of crime books. Kudos to you for being such an avid reader.

Ivy's Closet said...

Finally, I am here..and my hotspot works..Yeah!