Thursday, October 12, 2023

Pumpkin Spice and Things Not so Nice: Another Cute Cupcake Caper

As you know, I've read many a Jenn McKinlay romcom and hat shop mystery.  So when I was looking for fall books and found Pumpkin Spice Peril, I thought, why not start reading her cupcake shop mysteries too?

Bestie bakers Melanie Cooper and Angie Harper are busy at their beloved, Scottsdale-based Fairy Tale Cupcakes when they're met with a most unhappy ending.  Their dear friend, glass artist and pumpkin spice cupcake enthusiast Rene Fischer-Klein, has been murdered.  Never content to let the cops do their thing -- even when one of them is her uncle -- Mel delivers condolence cupcakes to Rene's studio in hopes of obtaining intel.  What follows is a mix of confections and complications as Mel works to separate the lies from the truth.

I enjoyed the arts angle in this book, especially McKinlay's descriptions of Rene's breathtaking work.  Also, unlike in most murder mysteries, Rene seemed genuinely missed as opposed to being a baddie who had it coming.  Finally, this cozy includes a tempting recipe for root beer float cupcakes that I'll probably never break my box-mix-only rule to attempt.  But I like that it's there if I get gutsy.

So it's safe to say that I'll be returning to Fairy Tale Cupcakes.  

Even if safe is the last word I'd use to describe an RIP bakery.

5 comments:

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, what a great title! I used to believe how artificial Pumpkin Spice can be, but this year I have embraced it more than usual. Oh, and rootbeer cupcakes..I would have never thought it. Speaking of which, I have a relative who likes to make her own rootbeer and it's potent stuff. It's amazing how talented these bakers are. Thanks so much for the cozy review! It does look like a fun one!πŸ–€πŸ–€πŸ–€πŸ–€πŸ–€πŸ–€πŸ–€πŸ–€Thank you for your comments too. Yes, Jade is in the middle of it all. Mona on one side and Liv on the other. Still, I am glad Liv has someone she can confide in. It is interesting in looking back at some of the pics I have found of this model "Liv" ..she looks happier in her earlier photos than her later ones. hmmmm..maybe they just want her to look more serious now.

ellie said...

Oh, I need some tea and these cupcakes! Really, you have to be a master baker to pull these off! I'm like you, a box cake-mix please! I even make a great blonde recipe from a cake mix! Oh, so great to note the art in the book too. It does look like a fun cozy! Meanwhile, I just might have to settle for another Pumpkin Spice Frostie....πŸ–€πŸ–€πŸ–€πŸ–€πŸ–€πŸ–€πŸ–€πŸ–€Oh Bom, I did want to keep it real how some families are. You want them close, but too close can be too much too. And there is always that factor with some questioning everything about who you are with. The number one question-What's wrong with him? And yes, the title of that song gives more meaning the longer I listen to it. Hope your October is going well. I finally got my Flu/Covid vaccines.

Samantha said...

Pumpkin spice/root beer cupcakes??? Now that's a treat! πŸŽƒπŸ§

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I admire how much reading you do ! I have to admit that I seldom read a book anymore unless it's historical novel or a biography. Mostly, I've been entertaining myself with TV shows on Prime and Netflix. Sounds like a cute book.

Kinga K. said...

I love baking :D