Friday, November 3, 2023

Chemical Reaction Retraction

Much has been said about Bonnie Garmus's Lessons in Chemistry.  So when my sister chose it for our book club, I was curious, albeit cautiously.

Elizabeth Zott is a brilliant and beautiful chemist in mid-century California.  She seems to have everything going for her, but "seems" is the operative word.  Because the men she works with are awful.  What's more, Elizabeth isn't like other women, or even people.  Unflinchingly driven and uncompromising, she refuses to perform for anyone, to smile on demand or at all.  She tells the truth, even when it's ugly -- and it often is --making her seem uncooperative, unlikeable, and cold to everyone but Nobel Prize-nominated fellow odd duck Calvin Evans.  Yet at her core, Elizabeth is purely kind.  Despite having suffered loss, violence, and the most egregious sexual discrimination imaginable, she believes that everyone deserves to be treated fairly.  And it is this humanity that she brings to her cooking show, Supper at Six.

Now, if you're wondering how a no-nonsense chemist became a TV star, then I'm right there with you. Suffice it to say that unjust events in Elizabeth's life resulted in this most unlikely of developments.  And although she's less than thrilled to be working with bowls instead of beakers, she makes the show her own, taking every opportunity to educate her female audience about not just cooking but chemistry and, ultimately, change.  Subversive and surprisingly entertaining, Supper at Six is a syndicated smash.  To me, this is where Elizabeth blossoms, her paradoxically off-putting personality, passion for science and food, and insatiable hunger for justice commingling to enable her to connect with other women.  It's exciting and inspiring and all of the things.  But this is still Lessons in Chemistry, not an uplifting romp about a reluctant but charismatic performer.  Because as I said in the beginning, Elizabeth Zott does not perform.

There's trouble brewing at the TV station, just as there was at the lab, only worse.  So some things happen, and then some more things, culminating in an ending that feels like a drop off a cliff.  And although I can see how it would be satisfying for most, to me it's anticlimactic.  Still, this isn't my story; it's Elizabeth Zott's.  She's a scientist first and in the end, she gets what she wants and needs.

Maybe understanding -- and respecting -- that is a lesson that this very unscientific but very feminist reader needed to learn.

4 comments:

Samantha said...

This book sounds deep and full of many layers; I like the dichotomy of the chemistry perspective alongside the cooking show, and how it comes together as a dual lesson for the female audience. Now that's epic!!! 😎

Ivy's Closet said...

This one must have been interesting for your book club. I do like the premise, especially with the cooking show along with science. & it has a mystery feel to it too. Awesome review. So glad to see it. I know I have seen the book..I just wasn't sure if I was ready for it yet. Thanks!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎 I am still catching up on some needed sleep. Although, I have not taken any naps. Yes, the trip has taken a lot out of me. And then to come home to a writer's group that I am not so sure I can be there for every meeting. However, they are an interesting bunch. Hope your November has gotten off to a good start! Thanks so much for your wonderful message (✿◡‿◡)

ellie said...

I like the idea that we all need more science in our lives. Supper at Six is a very unique title for the cooking show. It sounds like FL has a lot of odds against her. She is such a strong character. I really enjoyed your review. It must have been a good one for you guys to discuss too. Such a variety of books in the book club. Very inspiring! Hope you are having a wonderful first weekend in November ^_~

Caitlin'nMegan said...

I loved your last line to this one. Yes, we really need to strive for more understanding and respect. This looks like a wonderful novel to discuss. Great to see your review. Who gets to pick the next book? So glad you guys are doing this.