Friday, November 17, 2023

Untamed Twin Flames: A Love Story

Everyone remembers where they were on September 11.  I was a sophomore in college trying to decide what to wear to my first Science, Ethics, and Technology class (sorry not sorry if I've said this before in my many years of shameless self promotion).  In case you're wondering, I went with a hot pink floral cami and midi skirt from Fashion Bug, which was where I worked every summer.  Also, it turns out that I was in the wrong class, although the prof let me stay.  But that's my (perhaps inappropriately lighthearted) anecdote.  In Jill Santopolo's The Light We Lost, which was my mom's latest book club pick, things are much more complicated.

When Columbia seniors Lucy Carter and Gabe Samson sit down for their first Shakespeare seminar, they don't know each other or what that day will bring.  Hours later they watch the Twin Towers tumble.  Their bond is instant but their timing is wrong, a theme that defines their next decade.  Both grow to be storytellers, Lucy as a children's television producer and Gabe as a photojournalist.  Yet although they're different in irreconcilable ways, they share a passion for making a difference.

Santopolo writes The Light We Lost as Lucy's letter to Gabe, making it achingly personal even as it reveals the universal nature of love, loss, and fate.  Which is my senior seminar way of saying that it tears out your heart.  

I loved it.

6 comments:

camdandusler said...

Thanks for your review

ellie said...

Oh, it does seem like an emotional piece and also remembering that day too. thanks for being so light-hearted too. I can't say I remember what I was wearing that day. I am pretty sure I was in my pajamas when I saw it happen on the TODAY show. Thanks so much for the review. Sounds like a great book for Book Club too.❤️πŸƒπŸŒ΅❄️Thanks so much for your comments. Oh, as if I needed more character..but you know people come in and out of our lives. Of course, the bug that Junie caught might be susceptible to Amy too. Actually, I got the premise from the old Cleary book I was reading, friends still seem to want to do things together..especially if it's a double date. Oh, I did survive the dentist. Now if I can whip Thanksgiving into shape. Thanks again for being here. All the best to a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

So happy to see your review. It does sound like an emotional ride, as well. Glad you guys could discuss it for bookclub too. Oh, what a great outfit you chose for that day!🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️ It sounds like winter might be coming. But sometimes, I think that just might be a dream..we shall see. It is so dry here. Of course, I know I would rather be writing than of course, cleaning house and getting ready for Thanksgiving. I have only made it to one meeting with the Writer's Group. I'm just feeling I don't have time for that, and I really haven't. We do have such a unique group, but I think I would get more out of it, if it was online. Of course, there is the COVID thing, wanting to stay away from germs as much as possible. & I did get the vaccinations..which I am hoping has helped. I have been masking up at work, too. Here's to Friendsgiving and Thanksgiving too🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🌡🌡🌡🌡🌡🌡🌡🌡

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

The book sounds interesting and brings us to a time that we can vividly remember. I remember where I was and what I was doing (I was teaching English in a local high school) but I certainly do not have the slightest clue what I was wearing!! It seems like an apropo subject considering the latest terrorist attacks and reminding us that we were once attacked for no other reason than we were America (their enemy) and still are. We should be cognizant of that.

Kinga K. said...

Sounds nice :D

Samantha said...

Sounds like a heartfelt read!! I really like stories that incorporate a significant historical event and build a story around it. Also, I enjoyed the visual image you painted us of your outfit that day! πŸŽ€πŸ’–