Monday, February 5, 2024

Getting a Handle on Things

As the husband and I get ready for the baby, our to-do list seems endless.  And the most daunting thing on it, at least so far, has been emptying the spare room.  In the last six plus years, we've managed to cram it with every castoff imaginable.  Shoehorned amidst the flotsam and jetsam (The Little Mermaid forever!), is the husband's dresser.  My dresser, which is the same one I've had since I was twenty-two months old, is in our bedroom.  So the husband came up with a solution.  He would build one big double dresser for both of us and get rid of the other two, both of which were in bad shape.

It was a great idea.  I'd been smooshing my PJs and underwear into those child-sized drawers for decades without ever stopping to think there must be a better way.  Still, as psyched as I was for the extra space, a part of me was sad to see that old dresser go.  The first night my parents moved me into my big-girl room to make room for my new baby sister, I crept out of bed and emptied the drawers chanting, "Clothes!  Clothes!  Clothes!"  If that's not a sign of a future clotheshorse, then I don't know what is.  So in honor of that anecdote, I asked the husband to save the drawer pulls, which had always been my favorite part anyway.  The flowers are cheerful and charming, and the white paint specks that dot the brass only add to their character.  I'll probably nestle them among the bric-a-brac in my closet.  

Meanwhile, baby girl's new -- pink! -- dresser is on its way.  I can only hope that it'll make her as happy as my childhood dresser made me.

Also that she too will be so excited about clothes that she'll fling them all over her bedroom.

5 comments:

Ivy's Closet said...

Those are so adorable! So great to know of your husband's creativity too. Yes, the kind of items have such a history. I like the idea of flinging clothes too. Here's to the new dressers and more!πŸ’•πŸ©·πŸ’•πŸ©·πŸ’•πŸ©·πŸ’•πŸ©·πŸ’•πŸ©·Thanks so much for your comments. It's good to hear from you. It seems Covid is on the rise. The Children's Assistant told us on Saturday that her wife has it and she put on a mask immediately when her wife called. Last night this guy called to tell me at Circ that he couldn't pick up his Hold because the whole family had it. He didn't sound so well. Hopefully, I can get my Rocky Road fudge made for our potluck at work next week. [My way of getting rid of the little marshmallows and chocolate chips from Christmas].

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

This was such a wonderful post. I can identify to the old dresser and trying to stuff clothes into drawers that are too small. In Florida, we have a French Provincial beautiful white bedroom set that we bought from the previous owners. For the past eight years, the drawers stick, are curved and small but I LOVE the look of the beautiful set and struggle with it daily because the draws are really too small. Anyway- the handles from your childhood set are wonderful and I don't blame you for saving them. So so pretty. You have such wonderful childhood memories- it's nice that you are already thinking of how your little girl will be enjoying her room.

Samantha said...

"Clothes! Clothes! Clothes!" - the words of a future fashionista that would become Tracy from The Tote Trove! πŸ˜‚ I totally adore those drawer pulls! They're so dainty and vintage; I can see why you wanted to keep them! The pink dresser on its way sounds like a dream that your little girl will surely appreciate! πŸ’“

ellie said...

I love the title to this! Oh, what a keep sake. I am impressed that he is building the dresser too. Awesome! Oh, I hope you are having lots of sweet times these days and finding good things to eat and a little walking too..even if it's about the house. And listen to your favorite playlist too.

I am on the fence of letting the writer's group read some Holly & Stevie. I am not a serious writer, but of course, I have some fun. And we are supposed to write about something unusual.

Oh, I guess I could just write about someone at home..but then he's a little bit in many of my stories.

All the best to a wonderful February.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

So happy to see your post! These handles are just so adorable. I am glad you are saving them. Here's to that new dresser and all that handmade goodness. Here's to lots of fun this February❤️πŸ’•πŸ©·πŸ’•❤️πŸ’•❤️πŸ’•πŸ©·