Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Beach Block Blues: Don't Hit Snooze, Your Pop Rock Jam is Up Next

Writer's block.  We've all had it.  That voice that mockingly chants, There's nothing new under the sun.  Everything that needs to be said has been said.  So park yourself in front of a Real Housewives marathon with a feed bag of Cheetos and give up already.  Now imagine that you're broke and the ability to purchase said Cheetos depends on you churning out the novel you promised your agent by the end of the summer.  And that your crush-slash-nemesis, who's also a writer, just happens to be your new neighbor.  And that he's broke with writer's block too.

Welcome to Emily Henry's Beach Read.  And yes, it's the very same Emily Henry who wrote People We Meet on Vacation, that other rom com I just read about writers.  This time, the heroine is January Andrews, and her neighbor is Augustus "Gus" Everett.  Both nurse deep emotional wounds, and both are loath to admit it.  But their shared college past injects a jolt of electricity and fun into their fledgling friendship.  Sweet yet full of substance (Think Bundt cake instead of cotton candy.  Although cotton candy does make an appearance.), this novel is as much about the writing process as it is about romance.  I love how it challenges the idea that chick lit writers and readers are "less than."  As a writer of women's fiction, January is an ambassador from that world.  Scrappy and witty, she's quick to defend her genre and how it helped her through a tough time.  Gus, on the other hand, is firmly in camp literary fiction and as such, aptly cast as January's brooding antagonist.  But when the two switch genres for the summer, what starts as a game to beat writer's block ends up making them better storytellers and brings them closer to each other -- and to their true selves.  My favorite part is when Gus reveals that, contrary to what January thinks, he respects her writing:

"You make beautiful things, because you love the world, and maybe the world doesn't always look how it does in your books, but . . .  I think putting them out there, that changes the world a little bit.  And the world can't afford to lose that." (293)  

Well put, Gus.  Realism has its place, but one of the reasons we read is to get out of our heads and realize that life's not so bad.  Too much reality can send us right back to those Cheetos -- and the bad kind of unrealistic fiction (i.e. reality TV).  That said, Beach Read is also funny.  Henry's banter game is as strong as ever, and January and Gus's convos are a hoot.  Because you can't choke down the kale of personal growth without a large dose of ranch dressing.  

Even if January and Gus eat mostly pizza.  

8 comments:

ellie said...

A KALE OF PERSONAL GROWTH! Love it! It does look like a great summer fun romp....you just never know with this New Fiction kind of stuff! I hate to tell you what I'm reading because I might not ever get through it, but maybe it's more research than anything. I have been swept up in the Wuxia genre as of last. It started with the Sabre Sword Chinese drama where everyone and their grandma were Kung Fu fighting..and now I started the drama Demi-Gods and Semi-devils and found out the same guy wrote both of these wild series..and I did some looking and found one in English. So nights I can't sleep maybe it will put me to sleep.

I'm so glad you found this book to review. Oh, I do enjoy your wonderful reviews!

The Exclusive Beauty Diary said...

This seems like a very interesting book. I need to check it in my local bookstore.

www.exclusivebeautydiary.com

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, I'm so glad you have found this author. This looks like a fun read. Yes, I will vouch I am eating too much pizza too..even if it's the personal kind. I need more greens evidently!

Hope you have a wonderful September. Stay creative!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

I had no idea about this book from Henery. It's always good to read stories about closer to home. Of course, I do always find the neighbors a little peculiar. Usually, if I want to know anything I go to the neighbor across the street. She seems to know everything and everyone. And who doesn't love a good conversation?

Awesome review! Thanks for being here and thanks so much for your comments too.

Happy September!

ellie said...

Hope all is well..where you are. You are in my thoughts! Hopefully, the flooding and tornados haven't reached you guys. Such scary weather out there.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

So glad you guys didn't get hit hard with that storm.

And in today's collage..that's Marcus. Bea's husband. Hopefully, I can get the whole Heather story solved..or should I?

Emily Henry really is moving those books and is even writing with some other writer, I noticed. She is definitely one to look for..even in the stacks at our library.

Samantha said...

I love your book reviews; you always make them so fun and full of life!! Writer's block is definitely rough and I like how this book created a storyline around it! It sounds like the perfect summer read as summer draws closer to an end. I like what you said here: "Realism has its place, but one of the reasons we read is to get out of our heads and realize that life's not so bad." So true!!!

Jewel Divas Style said...

It sounds like something I SHOULD read as an author, but I don't think I'll be anywhere near close to reading anything until December. So it's going on the list.