Tuesday, December 28, 2021

A Cozy Snooze for Winter Blues: It Takes a Village, People

Could winter get any cozier than snuggling up in a seaside English cottage?  In this always-cold blogger's opinion, yes!  Once upon a time, I lived at the beach, and come winter, it was bitingly bitter.  I imagine that U.K. beach winters are even more frigid.  But Jenny Bayliss's A Season for Second Chances sends us on a glacial getaway that doesn't chill to the bone; if anything, it offers the warmest of hearths, radiating comfort and joy.  Last December, I read and loved Bayliss's debut novel, The Twelve Dates of Christmas.  So, when I heard about Bayliss's sophomore book, I knew it'd be just as winsome.    

Star restauranteur Annie Sharpe's life is turned upside down when she catches her husband with a waitress.  Unable to look the other way this time -- Max has strayed before, although Annie's never had to see it -- she leaves London for remote Willow Bay to look after an elderly stranger's cottage.  Which sounds crazy.  But a disappearing act is just what Annie needs.  And the denizens of her new beach village are only too happy to help her.  (So much for British reserve!)  Part of me is always surprised when this sort of story captivates me -- I mean, I'm the kind of person who avoids not only strangers, but people I know.  Yet then I remember that in books like this (unlike real life!), almost everyone has good intentions.  In A Season for Second Chances, that goes double for everyone, including the homeless guy camping out in Annie's tearoom.  Before you get the wrong idea, no, he's not her curmudgeonly love interest.  That would be the big, bad developer (okay, the big, bad developer's friend) who's itching to bulldoze the cottage.  

For yes, this book has some romance.  Bayliss serves it up along with delectable baked goods and enough tangy humor to keep your teeth from rotting.  Even Annie's grown sons are well-adjusted and funny, an affable pair of twins supportive of their mother's new-found independence.  No boys club vibes in this village!

That said, A Season for Second Chances is an engaging mix of old-fashioned charm and modern mores, making for an enlightened, rural, feel-good yarn.  

Which is my way of saying that it's a story well worth being marooned with.

7 comments:

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, it does sound like a great get-away! Very cozy read! I like those.

I have been watching a Thailand Drama called Second Chances but I swear the whole school is gay..even the teachers seemingly might be. Yet, it is a really good coming-of-age story.

I hope you are having a great week before the New Year! Unfortunately, a lot around me are in quartine.

ellie said...

Oh, I need this! It's 16 degrees at the moment here! Of course, I am having to work extra hours..too. When I got to work Monday..I had a huge gift bag..just as I touch it the director says, "Chris has Covid." Of course, the gift was from Chris. On top of that, we have 2 that have put in their 2 weeks notice. Fortunately, both are moving on to better things. I hope.

It's been a strange week. I hope you are doing well and all is going good. So I just want to hibernate and hope things don't get too wintery..but they just might.

Happy Holiday week..hopefully, I won't be writing about the holidays all of January..but I might be..=)

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Such a wonderful review! I love the cover. Thanks for making me aware of this author. I will have to check this out! Oh, I do like the idea of a U.K. beach, too.

We haven't really felt winter until this week though..or so it seems. Of course, I don't know how to pace myself sometimes, when it comes to writing a romance. Although I'm not really one for a 'slow-burn' of a romance. I still like seeing 'relationships' happen. And I hope I can do that with Bren & Mario.

Samantha said...

I love books that fit with the current season/weather, and this book definitely fits the winter vibe!! Of course, I noticed how cute the cover is - just by looking at it, it looks like a cozy read. The plot sounds like a page-turner and the idea of an English cottage sounds like the perfect ambiance to read about with a hot cocoa in hand. :)

ellie said...

It did get up to 24..but there are windchills..and maybe the snow won't get here like they said. On top of that, we have 2 down with Covid..one waiting for a test. I hope I survive tomorrow.

Thanks for your comment. Yes, I am having some fun writing..at least...

I am so ready to hibernate this weekend..because..more snow..and lord knows what else.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I learned a lot about the book (and you) in this wonderful review. Not sure I'm up for reading it right now since I just started William and Kate ( A royal love story) but will put it on my maybe to read list for when I need something cozy. Wishing you a happy and healthy New year! Not sure if we are getting together with friends or not- everyone is getting more cautious with this new wave of Covid spreading so quickly.

Jewel Divas Style said...

Sounds interesting. I'll put it on the list.