Sunday, December 19, 2021

Christmas Lights, Camera, Action

"This is not my beautiful house, this is not my beautiful wife" isn't just a lyric from a Talking Heads song.  It's what's going on in this picture.  (Well, okay, except for the wife part.)  This lights lollapalooza of a house isn't mine.  But it was the most striking house I saw with the husband and my parents when we drove around looking at Christmas décor over the weekend.  (My mom found it on a Facebook self-guided tour list, so hopefully the very talented homeowners won't mind that I posted a pic.)  It's as dazzling as the Griswald residence.  Only better, because it has a castle.  

Speaking of Christmas Vacation, there's nothing that eases 'tis the season tension like a crazy Christmas comedy.  So when I saw a commercial for the Comedy Central original movie A Clusterfunke Christmas, I had to check it out.  Written by Rachel Dratch and Ana Gasteyer, it's a rom com spoof of those so-bad-they're-good Hallmark holiday features.  Holly Jenkins (Mr. Mayor's Vella Lovell) isn't looking for love when she descends upon a Christmas-themed village.  She's looking to buy a heap of an inn run by eccentric spinster sisters Hildy (Gasteyer) and Marga (Dratch) Clusterfunke.  What follows is a walking, talking Christmas card complete with all the, ahem, hallmarks of a made-for-TV-movie.  You know.  The struggling mom and pop (or should I say sister and sister?) business.  The cookie cutter townspeople.  And, of course, the sophisticated, stressed-out businesswoman and hunky local yokel (Call Me Kat's Cheyenne Jackson) who despise each other on sight but must-have-each-other-now although they barely lock lips.

It was fun to watch a Christmas movie that put a new (i.e. snarky) spin on things.  Not that I don't enjoy the odd Hallmark flick while I'm crafting or wrapping a last-minute gift.  But after stringing my third necklace, I sometimes find the stories too saccharine to keep my interest.  No spurned suitor ever even so much as tosses a mug of hot chocolate in his lady love's Botoxed face.  And that's just not normal.  

Nevertheless, even as A Clusterfunke Christmas satirizes the genre of holiday romance, it's an (albeit tongue in cheek) homage to it.  Which is to say that it takes the best parts of a merry meet cute and then -- bam! -- spikes that sugary eggnog.  Because a little sarcasm never hurt anyone.

And you always hurt the ones you love.

12 comments:

Lovely said...

The Christmas lights are fantastic! Very festive and fun!
xoxo
Lovely
www.mynameislovely.com

Samantha said...

That house is totally dazzling; I love the big archway of the driveway and the castle, and the pink tree off in the righthand corner!!! Driving around and looking at Christmas lights is the best. A Clusterfunke Christmas sounds fun and like a "spiked sugary eggnog" like you described! A mix of Hallmark cuteness and some snark sounds like a very entertaining combo blend. :) Also the lyrics to the Talking Heads song at the very beginning of this post made me laugh - brilliant!!

Azka Kamil said...

beautiful article :)

Luda Tischenko said...

Wow this looks amazing!!

ellie said...

Oh, we have someone down the street who always has a blast lighting up the street, of course, these days it goes on and on. Our Mayor even set up something for those who can't afford lights, then come on down to City Hall and we'll give you some. (which I think is kind of funny because he's more worried about that than the food bank).

& I always enjoyed Rachel and Ana on SNL so I'm sure it was a riot! So glad to see they are better than ever and writing too.

It's down to the home stretch...we did make it out to Trader Joe's yesterday. Kind of a mistake, but we still managed with the herd with masks on. So glad you guys are going out for some fun time drives.

Thanks so much for your comments. I am sure I'm going over the top with this bit and that bit. But sometimes, I like to sneak in the perils of a love life, too. Even exs showing up...=). Although, it was quite funky last night when I was trying to edit on blogger. It was an unnerving cursor moving around and changing words right and left, but then wouldn't hardly let me type. I hope it's better today because well, I am the worst editor in the world. Add in my mad rush to crochet..oh do I ever sleep. Happy Holidays🎄🎁

Thanks again for your wonderful posts!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

My all-time favorite line from Talking Heads. Splendid opening. So great to go out and see the light shows. It's amazing what people decorate.

I enjoyed your movie review too. Oh, what a fun duo in this latest Christmas Movie!

Oh, I can't say why I let that happen to Caitlin. Maybe, she's wanting this more than she knows. Naturally, old acquaintances show up. Some Caitlin is oblivious too. And Cyrus and Pixie are of course in their own world..although, I do try to keep it real. Of course, there are always those certain someones who see certain things while they can't even see what's going on in their own lives.

May it be Merry and Bright this season! Hope the holidays are full of sweet memories!

Ivy's Closet said...

Happy Holidays! Such a fun post! Wonderful lights in your area! I hope you guys are having good weather too.

Well, it will be good to get some packages out of the house by Tuesday. We have Secret Santa at work, but I have practically gifts for everyone. And of course, there is still the quick sweets to make, like fudge and the no back oatmeal cookies. If that's not enough my right big toe is infected. However, it's better with a little lavender and tea tree oil. At the moment chilly here, but not like the wind chills on Saturday.

Stay safe! Stay beautiful. Thanks so much for your comments and more. You are always inspiring🎁🎄✨🤞💕

The Exclusive Beauty Diary said...

That house look amazing. I like to watch how people decorate their windows and trees, but that house is completely another level.

Quiet and Sun by Alexa said...

Cool house, even if it's not yours. I love looking at Christmas decor.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

When I lived in Jersy/Pennsylvaia in the winter, my husband, I , and the kids would ride around to see all the beautifully decorated houses for the holidays. So fun that you still go with your parents. When I first moved into my neighborhood development 30 years ago, their was a prize for the top 3 decorated houses. I'll have to add the Clusterfunke Christmas to my list. I have been sick in bed with a flu (not Covid -been tested twice) and have watched about 10 Christmas feel good movies or specials. Thanks for sharing the photo. Love it.

Rajani Rehana said...

So beautiful post

Jewel Divas Style said...

We get the same old same old movies every Christmas. Griswolds are everywhere along with Love Actually.